20 gallon gas tank (oem or aftermarket??)

20 gallon gas tank (oem or aftermarket??)

manitou

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ5 I6 258 4-spd. manual Dana-30 frt; AMC-20 rr. Stock/orig; Red w/new Bestop soft top.
Currently, I have a 20 gallon gas tank on my 1983 CJ5. I always though that ALL CJ5's had factory 15-gal. tanks...until I started researching for a replacement. It's my understanding that there are two 20-gal. options: 1) replaces oem 15-gal. 1) replaces oem 20-gal. I just need to know which size my jeep came with out of the factory. I appreciate any help. Thanks to all!

I think it was around '81 and on that AMC had an option on the CJ7 for the plastic 20 gal. tank. I have also seen heavy duty aftermarket skid plates just for them.

It's definitely not the poly. So, do you think it's safe to assume that it's not oem original? If I want to go with a 15 gallon...do you think I'm safe ordering a 15-gal. oem?

To install a 15 gal. oem tank, it will take a fuel pickup for that tank. Along with the 15 gal. skid plate w/padding. The fill hoses and vent lines are a bit different as I recall. The big box 4wd outfits should have all that stuff, hopefully. The extra ground clearance helps when on the rocks.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom