Dana?

Dana?

kickitandholdit

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'53 CJ3B
ok so dont make fun of my stupid questions please :D

so clue me in with dana stuff. like for example a Dana 30 differential.. whats 30 for? i assume a Dana 30 is weaker than a Dana 44?

and with transfer cases is a Dana 20 stronger than a dana 300 or just geared different

TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW HAHAHA :chug:

:popcorn::popcorn: thats a good one havent ever thought how they came up with the numbers

the day of the month of the engineers wifes birthday. drive line parts are like stars and asteroids, if you discover it you get to name it. The NP408 transfer case, Natalie Peterson (the engineer, john Peterson's wife) April 8th. They didn't mention the year for obvious reasons. :D

Don't step in the Bull:dung:!!

the day of the month of the engineers wifes birthday. drive line parts are like stars and asteroids, if you discover it you get to name it. The NP408 transfer case, Natalie Peterson (the engineer, john Peterson's wife) April 8th. They didn't mention the year for obvious reasons. :D

Don't step in the Bull:dung:!!

WTF!!!! How did you know that? That is the craziest explaination I have heard. Pretty cool though.

I'm sorry guys, a couple of beers after a long day and the imp of the perverse got the better of me. Do you think this would make a good urban legend? :laugh:

wow thats so funny. that was pretty good. :laugh: i could see that being true though

hey both of those are not true
the real reason they got named
is much more simple.
The size of the clock spring is taken i ratio with the gear count of the spyder gears divided by the circumference of the inner race bearings. this in fact is then multiplied by pi and divided by aspect ratio of the front pumpkindcover. So fo a Dana 30 it is cs+sgc/cirbxd1cklength/pi{ASSpucker}=D number

Thats go'na be my story from now on.:laugh:

But for the real scoop check this out. CJOffroad.com - General Information
I checked out that link and it said
"The old model numbers were calculated as follows:
Model = (pitch diameter X 100 X face width)/24
The pitch diameter and face width is of the ring gear."
I don't get it. How can they take into account the face width of the ring gear? The ring gear is a different width for each gear ratio. BajaEdition's "simple" explanation is a little more believable but I like the thing about the day of the month of the engineers wifes birthday best. Actually the NP in NP208 stands for New Process Gear, a division of Magna Powertrain, the makers of the NP208 (and other drive train components).
As for the number in the model. I am guessing but I don't think the number has any relevance. Like the Pontiac 6000 and the BMW 325 I think the manufacturer just makes up a number. Newer or larger models then get bigger numbers.

Face width is across the tooth surface. I got it now.

i assume a Dana 30 is weaker than a Dana 44?
and with transfer cases is a Dana 20 stronger than a dana 300 or just geared different
With the axles the larger the number the bigger the ring gear.
With the transfer cases the bigger the number the later they were released.
The Dana 20 has a 2 to 1 gear ratio for low.
The Dana 300 has a 2.6 to 1 gear ratio.
There are other differences. For example if you have a Dana 20 then there is a gear that sticks out of the transmission. This gear sticks into the TCase when they are bolted together.
If you have a Dana 300 then there is an output shaft that sticks out the tranny and into the TCase.
The older Dana 18 TCase has an offset rear output.
Here are the Dana Tcases found in Jeeps:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom