Distributor

Distributor
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 and 86 cj7's..mostly stock...258"s one is automatic, other is T-5..both have 20 and 30 axles...both have perfect original frames
Im just looking for suggestions, as to which electronic distributor to consider. I want to convert my 82 CJ7, basically stock motor, (258) with Weber, and nutter. I have seen the DUI's and a few others, but looking for some input...thanks:)

Easiest and cheapest way for later CJs equipped with the MotorCraft ignition would be going to the Team Rush Upgrade. For the pre '78 year rigs, I would suggest the HEI style. In either case spare parts are always good to bring along.
Oh yeah, and in either application I would also advise a ground from the icm to the battery negative.

Last edited:
Not to hijack, but what about four cylinders? I've been looking for an electronic upgrade for my 84 AMC 4 banger with no luck...

Easiest thing to do is go to NAPA or Autozone/O'Reilly and order a Chevy 250 inline six unit. They are manufactured by Cardone Industries and are ready to drop in EXCEPT...you will require the dizzy gear from an AMC V-8. Best quality is the Mopar one, or you can try the Crown part.

Either way the replacement is very simple:

Push out the tension pin in the gear neck and remove gear...slide on the new gear and reinstall the pin...Ta da!

I have tried the HEI from the Camaro, Nova, and S-10 (early 70's up). All of them work. Each however is tuned a bit differently with weights and springs ...so you will want to tweak.

One thing you should do, even if you use a DUI...Measure the clearance between the installed gear and bottom of housing...you may need to add a hardened washer or two above the gear to get a final clearance of .010 to .012 ( the gear will walk upwards while running and change timing if you don't do that, even on Davis units). The shaft will fit a standard 12mm or 1/2' hole washer!

Cost??? About $110 for the dizzy and $35 -$70 for the right gear...about HALF of the DUI or Mallory...

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom