Solid-state battery shows no degredation over 300,000 miles

Solid-state battery shows no degredation over 300,000 miles

Im Not Spam

News Posting Bot
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
The Information Highway.
VW Salzgitter cell facilitySolid-state batteries promise to deliver much greater range, shorter charge times, lower costs, and improved safety for electric vehicles, though there remains hurdles to getting the technology ready for the rough requirements of automotive use. One of those hurdles has been durability, but Volkswagen Group in its latest testing of a solid-state...

More...

If and when SS Batteries are developed and working it's a game changer.

With today's Lithium Ion batteries and the gel type electrolyte used, that is where the main fire risk exists. When that gel expands due to heat (charging/discharging in a car) or other factors (think changing air pressure in a plane's cargo hold), that gel can combust and no amount of water can put it out. A solid state battery with its solid electrolyte would greatly reduce this risk. And of course the solid electrolyte is also more dense, so more power storage capacity. But they are also heavier, more expensive to make, and today's technology doesn't really support making them large enough for EV use on a mass production scale. Today they are only used in watches, some phones, pacemakers, and other small applications. More weight and more cost doesn't lend itself to the needs of the EV market. Perhaps new polymers and carbon fiber can help with the weight, and technology improvements in manufacturing with the cost; but until then, no bueno in the EV market.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks