1 piece axle and ox locker

1 piece axle and ox locker

irish33in

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
new to me 85 cj7, 85 Virgo chopping into a bobber rattle can rat bike, and a 89 90 horsepower merc outboard bass boat
Can I get a 1 piece axle for the AMC20 rear diff and have it cable selectable ox locked

Yes

The 1 pc axle refers to a flanged axle from the pumkin to the wheel. There are "two" one piece axles to complete the AMC20 rear end. The axles that are stock in the cj have a flange by the wheel that is held on with a nut and the nut can loosen up and the axle can fail.

I have a AMC20 3.54 gears, new moser 1pc axles, new drums, new brakes, bearings and seals. I purchase this and will not be using 3.54 changing to 3.73. I am asking 350$$.

The 1 pc mosers axles are $250, the new drums & brakes $100... sell it complete for $350. The perches are rusty and need to be replaced, they can be purchase for $25.

Your gearing is 2.73 or 3.54 if I were to guess. On level ground put a pc of tape and string on your rear drive shaft. Push CJ forward 1 tire revolutions. Count the string wrap and that is your axle ratio. The 80s are often tooo tall a gears just so you know. 3.54 is the lowest that should be used if any larger tire is used.

OX locker, need to know gear ratio, there are two groups 3.73 axles gears / ie carrier size and lower and 4.09 axle gears and higher if I remember right.

Ox locker $800
OX cable selection $100
Moser 1 pc Axles $250
bearings and seals $100
Labor is 2-3 hrs @ approx $90/hr

I am planning on OX in the rear also,

Fred

Can a cable operated ox locker be locked on the fly, or do you need to stop?

From what I read about the OX Locker on their homepage, you can engage at any speed.

Yes, I have the setup you are talking about: Ox locker and one piece axle shafts in a AMC20 . I really like it. It's holding up great except I once had to readjust the shift cable.
You can lock the diff when you are driving but you should do it when you are going strait. If one tire is turning faster than the other or spinning it is almost like grinding gears with a non-syncro trannny.
The OX locker is an excellent differential. I like the manual shift lever. It's simple and you know when it's locked.

Yes, I have the setup you are talking about: Ox locker and one piece axle shafts in a AMC20 . I really like it. It's holding up great except I once had to readjust the shift cable.
You can lock the diff when you are driving but you should do it when you are going strait. If one tire is turning faster than the other or spinning it is almost like grinding gears with a non-syncro trannny.
The OX locker is an excellent differential. I like the manual shift lever. It's simple and you know when it's locked.

Did you install the 1 piece axle and ox locker your self? level of difficulty? cost?

Did you install the 1 piece axle and ox locker your self? level of difficulty? cost?
Installing a differential is no small task for a shade tree mechanic. It's doable but it takes more time than an experienced mechanic. Be careful checking your measurements
I have installed an ARB locker myself but the last time I needed it done I paid a mechanic to install my OX and regear.
The 1 piece axle is easy.
To install the differential there are shims on the sides of the differential. Also shims controlling how deep the pinion gear sits in the differential.
Use a dial gauge to make sure the backlash is set correctly. Backlash is a measurement on how tightly the gears meshing together.
drive-axle-full-floating_html_4bffa1a4.jpg
BacklashMeasureSmall.jpg
When you think you have the backlash set properly you then apply some gear meshing compound on the gears. Rotate the gears to see how the gears are contacting each other.
toothcontcht.jpg

If the contact patch doesn't look right you have to take it all apart and try again.
I know this is sounding like a major job. In theory if the new OX locker diff is made to the same specs as the OEM diff you are removing, then the existing shims should work. In reality these measurements go down to the thousandths so you will want to be ready to adjust the shims. A differential installation kit should include all the shims you need.

Last edited:
Installing a differential is no small task for a shade tree mechanic. It's doable but it takes more time than an experienced mechanic. Be careful checking your measurements
I have installed an ARB locker myself but the last time I needed it done I paid a mechanic to install my OX and regear.
The 1 piece axle is easy.
To install the differential there are shims on the sides of the differential. Also shims controlling how deep the pinion gear sits in the differential.
Use a dial gauge to make sure the backlash is set correctly. Backlash is a measurement on how tightly the gears meshing together.
drive-axle-full-floating_html_4bffa1a4.jpg
BacklashMeasureSmall.jpg
When you think you have the backlash set properly you then apply some gear meshing compound on the gears. Rotate the gears to see how the gears are contacting each other.
toothcontcht.jpg

If the contact patch doesn't look right you have to take it all apart and try again.
I know this is sounding like a major job. In theory if the new OX locker diff is made to the same specs as the OEM diff you are removing, then the existing shims should work. In reality these measurements go down to the thousandths so you will want to be ready to adjust the shims. A differential installation kit should include all the shims you need.

Wow, thanks for the info. I think I will leave the diff up to a pro, now just finding a shop that does quality work in central Fl.

If your not changing the ring and pinion, its not that hard to just change the carrier. All you need to do is adjust the carrier shims to get the same backlash in the old gears as they had when you took it apart.
Now if you plan on a new pinion bearing, thats a different story.

I just bought the Alloy USA one piece and was planning on go with an OX locker as well. What length cable do I need for the OX and does any one have pictures or details to do the one piece conversion. I am going to have a friend that does lockers install the OX and I was going to tackle the one piece.

I just bought the Alloy USA one piece and was planning on go with an OX locker as well. What length cable do I need for the OX and does any one have pictures or details to do the one piece conversion. I am going to have a friend that does lockers install the OX and I was going to tackle the one piece.
I have a CJ5 and when I put in an OX locker i think I used the shortest cable. It is about 70 or 78 inches long. The shifter is mounted on my center console and the cable goes through a hole in the bottom of my console. It then loops around so it come down from the side into the diff cover. You have to make sure there is enough slack so the cable doesn't bind or pull as the suspension flexes.
As for the one piece axle: It assembles like the OEM axle except since it's one piece you work with it as a unit. You slide the seal/retaining plate that came with the one piece onto the axle. Then put your brake plate back on the axle. Next you want to press the bearing onto the axle shaft. From here on out its not much different than installing an OEM axle. One difference is the axle hub is a little in the way of the brake plate bolts. With an OEM axle the hub isn't on when you bolt on the brake plate. Check out this link:Amc20 Alloy Usa 1 Pc Axle Install - Jeeps-Offroad.com Bulletin Board
axle-kit-quadtrac.jpg

I think they are the same as Superior's, here's a link to there instructions.
Superior Axle & Gear

Thanks Busadave9 and Old Dog for the help. I think I will tackle this sometime this weekend. As for the OX locker I will probably need a 84" or 87" for the rear axle and a 70" for the front eh? :confused:

I am replacing my rear drive shaft and I thought it would be a good time to show how my cable is routed.
I mounted the actuation lever on my center console. The PO made the console to hold 2 drinks. I put the lever where one drink used to go and covered the top with traction plate aluminum.
lever.jpg

I have a CJ5 so I used just about the shortest cable they sell. Don't take anyone elses word for how long the cable should be for a CJ7 . Measure it yourself. It all depends on where you put the lever, if you have dual exhaust and other factors. Route a tape measure or something else where you plan on routing the cable. Here's how mine is routed.
cable.jpg

Here is a shot of the OX diff cover and how the cable goes in from the side. Pardon the mud. My jeep is rarely clean.
diff.jpg

What are the best axles to get?
There are 2 manufacturers of One Piece axles: Moser Engineering and Superior.
They both use off the shelf components such as Timkin Bearings. But Moser and Superior both make their own axle shafts.
Superior Axles are sold under many different names. I am no metalologist but I would think they can both make good axles. Moser costs more.
Now you may ask: why pay more for a Moser Axle?
The short answer is service.

Let me tell you a story. I have a CJ5 that the PO installed one piece axles. The bearings on one side worn out and needed to be replaced. I had no idea who made the axles so I went to the Internet and made a long list of all the companies that sell the one piece axles for the CJ. I tried contacting them all. I explained my problem and asked how I could find out who made my axles. I had a hard time getting answers. I was thinking I might have to buy a new axle shaft, bearings and everything else for one side. Then I got a hold of the tech at Moser Engineering. He told me the only other manufacturer of one piece axles was Superior. They sold their axles under many names. There are only 2 types of bearings. Old style and new style. Old style had balls in the bearings. When Moser switched to tapered bearings Superior Copied the design. I didn't need to take my axle apart to find out what type of bearing I had. To minimise down time Moser sent me both type of bearings. I could return what I didn't need.

The reason the other companies couldn't answer my questions about the bearings is because they didn't make the axles that had their names on them.

The bottom line is if you want to save money, buy the cheapest axles you can find but you may be on your own when you install them.
If you want service go with Moser.

Thanks Busa. I am learning real quick there is alot more to my project jeep than I expected...lol. Thats what makes it fun though.

I have to disagree with dave, there may only be thoes two that make
one piece axles here in the usa, but there are other brands that are made
over seas, so I would stick to moser or superior.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom