1 post with 3 questions

1 post with 3 questions

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
It's not a CJ, but I need the knowledge here!
1987 Wrangler YJ has a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l w/ Weber carb, no pollution controls at all. B&M GM Turbo 400 Transmission .
1. I have the canister to plumb. I have the line to the fuel tank connected & I have the large line going to the fitting on the bottom of the air cleaner on the Weber. Where should the 3rd line go?
2. Transmission has a braided steel hose, (with a cable inside), that comes from the Transmission on the right front corner above the pan (as you're looking from the tailshaft). B&M has no idea what it was for. Does anyone here know what it may have been for? End of hose has been cut off & is leaking ATF.
3. My rocker cover is a Clifford 6=8 aluminum cover. It was leaking on the right side, between the 2 bolt holes, as you're facing the engine. I tried to snug down the bolts, but the 1st bolt on the right wouldn't tighten up. I removed the rocker cover to find the 1st hole on the right has no threads. Is this hole supposed to be threaded? If it's supposed to be threaded, how deep is the hole. I only have about 1/4". I'd need to drill deeper to tap it. Can I drill deeper w/o messing anything up?
Thanks guys

1. Return line from the fuel filter. Or from the bowl vent on the carb, not exactly sure with seeing it.
2. Possibly a kickdown? I'm not for sure.
3. I have no idea without taking off my valve cover, sorry :)

I'll get some pics today.

1. The remaining line should go to the carb bowl vent. The fuel return line from the filter goes to the fuel tank, not the charcoal canister.
2. Disconnect the hose at the Transmission end. If it's a kickdown cable, it will go to some sort of linkage and shouldn't have fluid in it. If it's a hose it probably should go to your radiator (tranny cooler ports at the bottom).
3. Sounds like a bolt got broken off in the hole, but be careful getting it out. You don't want to drill into the water jacket in your head.

Your trany is not a GM Turbo 400 it's most likely a TH350 and that's the second gear kick-down cable. No GM Turbo 400 has a kick-down cable.
It looks like someone tried to drill out a broken bolt in the head, if they did not oversize the hole (should be 1/4") I'd put a heli-coil in it. If the hole is to big for a 1/4 heli-coil I'd tap it for a 5/16 bolt and drill the valve cover. If you have to go to a 5/16 bolt, you can use a socket head bolt (allen head bolt) it will fit in the space in the valve cover.
To find out how deep you can drill measure one of the other bolt holes.:chug:

Thanks, now I'm getting somewhere. Hole is only 1/4" deep. Should I drill the same depth as the other holes? Will she drive ok w/o the kickdown cable?

Can you get a picture of the Transmission pan that will tell what Transmission that you have either a 350 or 400.
It might be the kick down cable but I don't remember the 350 having a cable. I remember it having linkage to it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom