150 trans d20 t-case

150 trans d20 t-case

1986cj7

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7 258, t-176 4-speed, d-300, moser one piece axle in back in amc 20,G2 4.10 gears front and back, detroit truetac front and back,G2 4340 chromoly front axles in a d-30, 4" rough country lift, 33" tires
I'm in the process of thinking of buying a 79 CJ5 that has a AMC 150 Transmission and Dana 20 tcase I'm don't know much about the reliablity of these. I have a chiltions and can read up on the mechanics of them but don't know how tough and reliable they can someone enlighten me on this?? Or have a link I can referre to. Please excuse the spelling in my posts haven't down loaded spell check still on good old dail-up, what a joke. Thanks for the help.:)

Sorry about the bad post I just got done with soom resheach and fouond that the Dana 20 has a high low range gearing and is kind of weak. The T-150 is also thought of being weak and the Transmission that the jeep i'm looking for the owner says that rev some times takes a few pumping of the clutch to get it to shift. He wants 3500$ for it but is has a rebuilt AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with 25000 miles on it and passed california's smog test so may be this engine is strong but the body is rough with hood being rusted and some dents on the body. The gauges need work and switchs are rough. I think a 176and Dana 300 would be the best combo. Any opinions will be apperseated. Thanks again.

I have a T-150 /Dana 20 (or is it a T-15 ? lol I can never remember!) behind my built-up 360 and they have never given me any trouble. I mud race the CJ and do very hi RPM launches. I've twisted the rear driveshaft in 1/2, broke a front U-joint, but never had a hiccup out of the Transmission /TC.
Yes, they are pretty hi geared for technical wheelin', but for street use and mild and mid-level trails they are just fine.

Had the same setup in my '81 CJ5 . Put a T-18 in since I got it but never had a problem with the 3 speed and I still use the Dana 20 Tcase. I prefer the lower gears of the T-18 but the T-15 was rock solid. The gear trouble he told you about may actually be a clutch problem. $3500 seemed a little steep with what all you said was wrong. Just my thought anyway. Send some pictures if you can. Will help us see what you are talking about.

Tommy

Hood is rusted pretty bad but the undercarrage looks good no rust but maybe some surface. It's a california jeep may be why the undercarrage is pretty rust free no salt on winter roads and all. This is his asking price but with shipping to missouri don't know. I'll try and get pics here there on another forums but not to computer savy. I have thought about the T-18 is rock soild and low geared and will bolt right up if not mistaken. Thanks for the opinions. There great!!!!!

I wouldn't give him $3500 for that, even if it was in town. Maybe $2500 or so...Northerners might want to pay a premium for less rust, but with shipping costs and the other work you would have to do? IMO, keep looking.

I wouldn't give him $3500 for that, even if it was in town. Maybe $2500 or so...Northerners might want to pay a premium for less rust, but with shipping costs and the other work you would have to do? IMO, keep looking.
Yes I was really thinking more like $2000 Because of shipping costs. May seem like lowballing but it is my dime. :chug:

Looks like it's leaking front, rear and middle. :down:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom