1964 scout axles will they work

1964 scout axles will they work

poser

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 cj7 258 and a 5 speed all stock
I have a chance to buy some scout axles out of a 64 they have been pro built and a good price, the rear is a Dana 44 and the front is a Dana 30 does any one know if they will work with an 84 CJ7 the width is the same and the front is a a right side drop but that is all I know thanks for any help.

Pirate4x4.com has the interchange chart

As long as the diffs are in the right spots pass side for front and either centered or offset for the rear (depending on what you have) and the spring perches are the same width the only other thing to check out is the width of the front springs. CJ's fronts were 2" wide and I think the scouts were 2.5" wide ifthats the case you can swap the front shackle mounts for a set like the ones the guy at crab tree makes and get you some 2.5"springs. It should all be easy to overcome

Jeep Products
You would need the set of CJ/yj hangers on the bottom of the page.

Don't forget scouts used bias ply tires so the caster angle will be zero. If you plan on any highway use you will need to rotate the knuckles to get 5-7 degrees of angle for the radial tires and proper recentering of your steering.

I have a chance to buy some scout axles out of a 64 they have been pro built and a good price, the rear is a Dana 44 and the front is a Dana 30 does any one know if they will work with an 84 CJ7 the width is the same and the front is a a right side drop but that is all I know thanks for any help.

Those will fit, but the front won't be an upgrade.
You'll need to change out the brakes, replacement scout drums are over $100 each. Where a 1/2 Ford $25.00.
78' & later Scouts have Frt. & rear Dana 44 axles with frt. disc brakes & 5 on 51/2 bolt pattern a much better swap.
Sadly the caster issues remain.

Don't forget scouts used bias ply tires so the caster angle will be zero. If you plan on any highway use you will need to rotate the knuckles to get 5-7 degrees of angle for the radial tires and proper recentering of your steering.
WOW, Kane, what are you saying?
Caster angle of zero for bias ply tires??? :confused:
I never knew that tire design makes any difference on caster. I always thought a caster angle of 0 meant instability no matter what tire design you have.
Does that mean you shouldn't put radials on a Scout?
I like bias ply for off road. Does that mean I can use Scout axles without rotating the steering knuckle?
I always heard that if you use Scout axles you should rotate the steering knuckle so the u-joint angle and the caster are correct. I never thought the angles would be that much different on a CJ as opposed to a Scout.

As already said, you have a Dana 30 in the front now so no up grade there.
The money spent on fixing the front could be spent on your rear 20 and it would be as strong as the rear 44. Unless your doing it for the gear ratio I think I would pass.

I agree. I would pass on this "deal" :(

Dana 30
I missed that part. I thought the Scouts always cam with Dana 44 so I checked it out. You need a Scout from '74 or newer. Then Dana 44 's were standard.

WOW, Kane, what are you saying?
Caster angle of zero for bias ply tires??? :confused:
I never knew that tire design makes any difference on caster. I always thought a caster angle of 0 meant instability no matter what tire design you have.
Does that mean you shouldn't put radials on a Scout?
I like bias ply for off road. Does that mean I can use Scout axles without rotating the steering knuckle?
I always heard that if you use Scout axles you should rotate the steering knuckle so the u-joint angle and the caster are correct. I never thought the angles would be that much different on a CJ as opposed to a Scout.

Yes, the bias ply tires have enough flex in them so when the scout gets up to speed it sort of creates it's own caster or trial so to speak. Radial tire construction holds its roundness much better so this flex does not happen at speed. If you ran a scout axle with bias ply tires it would be the exact same steering characteristics as on a scout.

Learn something new every day
Thanks Kane

Also be aware that some Scout 44's are 2-piece.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom