1973 Scout Dana 44 questions

1973 Scout Dana 44 questions

Kane

Full Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-8 Restomod Scout axles 4 wheel disks, 258, ax15, D300.
Does anybody know anything about them? Spline count, inherent weeknesses, wheel bolt pattern, size of brakes.

I have an opportunity to but a front and rear set for $300. I think they would be a nice set up for my Jeep but I am not sure since my Model 20 is pretty built as it is with Moser Axles shafts and an ARB. My Dana 30 is a no brainer though but the scout axles are wider is it has to be both or none.

Anyone want to buy an ARB?:notworthy:

don't forget you give up the disk brakes on the front too. Boy , thats a tough call.:dunno:

Does anybody know anything about them? Spline count, inherent weeknesses, wheel bolt pattern, size of brakes.

I have an opportunity to but a front and rear set for $300. I think they would be a nice set up for my Jeep but I am not sure since my Model 20 is pretty built as it is with Moser Axles shafts and an ARB. My Dana 30 is a no brainer though but the scout axles are wider is it has to be both or none.

Anyone want to buy an ARB?:notworthy:

The only thing I know for sure is you will have to out board you front springs. You also need to cut and reweld the ends for the correct caster. Also they use Dana 30 outers so you MIGHT be able to keep the disc breaks.

I don't remember the bolt pattern, but it seems like it was pretty close to if not the same as a CJ. Spline count is 30, same as almost every other Dana 44 on the planet. All the internals are the same as the jeep (and everyone elses) Dana 44 . Excelent axles, can be a little bit of a pain to install under a jeep, but deffinetly doable. I think you'd be very happy with them.

Spline count is 30? Ok Cool. I thought Jeep Dana 44 were 28 count but I could be wrong. Installation is not an issue for me. Plus I forgot about the clocking of the front because of the 0 degree caster. Now that i think about it, don't the knuckles have to be cut and rotated for proper clocking of the front end?

$300 I would say is a good deal If they are in good shape. May have a factory Limited slip in the rear. The tubing is thicker and overall just a stronger axle no matter what you do to your AMC20 . Those things like to snap like a hot and cold girlfriend.
You do have to cut and rotate the front for proper clocking. Otherwise it won't be so friendly on the pavement. Good luck

Wow, you pulled up an old thread. Yeah I bought these and they were from a 1980 Scout so I got the disk brakes and 4:11 gearing. They are going into my Scrambler build

I have a 1980 Scout 2 Dana 44 front end as well. 2 degress of caster
.5 degrees of camber. I cut off both ends took them to Mitchells in Shrewsbury, Ma . They use a jig and cut the long tube 3 5/8" and rewelded
the ends back on at 10 dergees (4" lift) set the camber. and did 10 dergees of pion angle. should have it done soon.

Yeah, under 33's these thing are never going to die even with my heavy foot and a v8 they should be fine. They will be worth the effort.

well my Dana 30 with L/S is out of the Jeep and on the floor. I have the cut down scout Dana 44 with Spartan locker sttting on the axle pads I have to weld one side back on before I can install it.

Kane whatgear ratio was originally in your AMC20 ?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom