1976 J10 questions

1976 J10 questions

CoreyYoungCj577

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj7 232 inline 6,Dana 20 Tc,T-150 Trans, stock diffs.
I found a guy on craigslist selling a 4 speed Transmission and Transfer Case out a 1976 J10 1/2 ton and i was wondering what this Transmission could be along with the Transfer Case because he only wants 200 dollars, so if its a T-18 with low first i would like to know guys any info is helpful! thank you as always!

The Transmission is probably a 727 or GM Turbo 400 backed by a QuadraTrac or Dana 20 , but they maybe be one of the others,
or could have been swapped. So best bet is to check it out in person, and write down numbers or take pic's.

This might help:
http://www.ifsja.org/
http://home.off-road.com/~jseries/
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=261332
JeepTruck.com - Jeep Trucks For Sale and Willys Jeep Truck Parts Willys Kaiser AMC Military and Civilian

Also check novakadapters knowledge base.

Last edited:
Brock those are 3 spd autos. :driving: If its a 4 spd from a 76 J-truck theres a good chance its a T-18 . Take a good look at it. If it looks like the attached pic your golden. Grab it. The Transfer Case behind it should be a Dana 20 .

The 727 and 400 are most common, but like I specified, it's probably something different, and best bet is to check it out in person, and write down numbers or take pic's.

if it is a J-10 T-18 , The input shaft will be too long to work in a CJ. Check it out at Novak's site before you get it.
The correct mainshaft will run you like $500 or something from them...

If it's free take it anyway and sell what you don't need for cash toward what you do.

As a general rule, all FSJ T-18 's featured varying lengths of input shafts - all too long for installation into short wheelbased Jeeps. These were fitted with a variety of factory adapters and deeper bellhousings to accomodate the deeper bulkheads of these larger Jeeps. We get many calls from individuals attempting to adapt these versions into CJ Jeeps - many of them being sold under the unscrupulous pretense that they are inexpensive and direct replacements. Individuals get caught in often fruitless salvage searches for the rarest of the Jeep T-18 input shafts and bearing retainers in an attempt to make the project succeed. As a solution for wide ratio (6.32:1 first gear) Jeep T-18 's, we offer a new input shaft and retainer assembly, kit #T-18 -ISK. There is currently no solution for the narrow ratio (4.02:1) Jeep T-18 's.

Last edited:
Brock, I gotta wonder if you even read his post?
First he specifies its a 4 speed so you tell him all about the 3 speed auto trannys, then after you backtrack on that, you plagiarize Novak's site without even mentioning them in the post.
And where did he say it was free? He said in the first post the seller wants $200.

Come on man, we want to give good info here, not degenerate to what the other sites have become!

I don’t think it makes much difference which Transmission it is if it came out of a J-10 it will be too long to put in your 7 with much of a drive shaft. I may be wrong but I think if it is a T-18 you may find your differential pumpkin is on the wrong side. I am kind of leaning toward it being a T-176 four speed myself which wouldn’t really be a big move up.

I have not heard anything about your gas tank, has that happened yet or is it still too cold and the snow too deep?:cool:

I don’t think it makes much difference which Transmission it is if it came out of a J-10 it will be too long to put in your 7 with much of a drive shaft. I may be wrong but I think if it is a T-18 you may find your differential pumpkin is on the wrong side. I am kind of leaning toward it being a T-176 four speed myself which wouldn’t really be a big move up.

I have not heard anything about your gas tank, has that happened yet or is it still too cold and the snow too deep?:cool:

I need 3 feet of fuel line, and $20 for gas so and thats depending if the tank is useable or if i have to patch it so, and the reason i cant do this is because my old jack A** of a boss decided to screw up my unemployment by clicking the wrong button and saying i was fired for being late, and not completeing the job to his satisfaction so im trying to get it back, or get a job but either way he pissed me off really bad and it kind of halted the jeep :mad:

Brock, I gotta wonder if you even read his post?
First he specifies its a 4 speed so you tell him all about the 3 speed auto trannys, then after you backtrack on that, you plagiarize Novak's site without even mentioning them in the post.
And where did he say it was free? He said in the first post the seller wants $200.

Come on man, we want to give good info here, not degenerate to what the other sites have become!

As said in post #2 and #4:

The 727 and 400 are most common, but like I specified, it's probably something different, and best bet is to check it out in person, and write down numbers or take pic's.

I copied a paragraph from novak and hadn't had a chance to edit and credit, kill me. :rolleyes:

I need 3 feet of fuel line, and $20 for gas so and thats depending if the tank is useable or if i have to patch it so, and the reason i cant do this is because my old jack A** of a boss decided to screw up my unemployment by clicking the wrong button and saying i was fired for being late, and not completeing the job to his satisfaction so im trying to get it back, or get a job but either way he pissed me off really bad and it kind of halted the jeep :mad:

That blows hope you get things worked out man.

If it's free take it anyway and sell what you don't need for cash toward what you do.

As a general rule, all FSJ T-18 's featured varying lengths of input shafts - all too long for installation into short wheelbased Jeeps..

This is simply untrue.
A AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l equipped J10 has the same input as a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l CJ7

A T-176 from a J10 will bolt directly into any CJ vehicle as will the T-18

The bellhousing adaptor is the difference
AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l =NO Adaptor
V8=Adaptor

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom