1979 CJ5 starter solenoid will not shut off

1979 CJ5 starter solenoid will not shut off

dburfeind

Jeeper
Thanks
HELP, have a '79 CJ5 AMC 304 V8, Golden Eagle , ran great for years, left sitting for 6 months, moved to Montana and it started acting up. When it got hot it would just shut down, the motor and would not start again until cooled off. Started replacing ignition module (brain), starter solenoid, distributor, coil, cleaned the fire wall box and back side of fuse box and replaced igniion switch, cleaned up some wiring. Took out jeeping ran great for at least an hour until we started up a steep rocky hill, it shut off again, the motor. The ignition coil was extremely hot to the touch. Tried jumping with wire from coil to battery and a different wire, the one that is the S terminal wire smoked and burned in two. After S wire smoked in two we bypassed it and tried jumping with wire from coil to battery then the starter solenoid just stays engaged until positive side of battery pulled off. Tried replacing wires that burned bought new starter solenoid. Still when starting the starter solenoid keeps running and wont disengage until I pull positive side of battery terminal off. The S wire is wired into the red wire of coil and red wire of ignition module. We have installed 16 gage ground wire from starter solenoid to good ground on block. PLease Help :mad:

I had a '77 CJ5 did the same thing a couple of years back.

In my case the ignition switch relay was bad, it is on the steer column it was a simple un plug and replace, however the R+R tear down of the steering to gain access to the relay took 2 hours.

Hope this works for you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom