1979 CJ7 Broken Front Hub Lockers

1979 CJ7 Broken Front Hub Lockers

CombatFF

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7
I am thinking about purchasing a 1979 CJ7 but the seller says the knobs on the front locking hubs have broken off. What would cause this? Is it an easy fix? I am only paying $1,200 for so is this really that big a deal? Well any input would be greatly appreciated since I am new to this. Also where can I find some cheap doors for this vehicle?

That's not uncommon for the locking hubs to break. One possibility is that the bolts holding it on came loose. Those bolts need locktite. Once they start to come loose their is more stress on the hubs and they could easily break when in 4WD. Even if the bolts never did come loose I wouldn't worry. The hubs are not too expensive and shouldn't stop you from buying the jeep. They are easy to replace too.

That's not uncommon for the locking hubs to break. One possibility is that the bolts holding it on came loose. Those bolts need locktite. Once they start to come loose their is more stress on the hubs and they could easily break when in 4WD. Even if the bolts never did come loose I wouldn't worry. The hubs are not too expensive and shouldn't stop you from buying the jeep. They are easy to replace too.

2nd that as well. not long to change them.

The hub bolt holes can oval. Best to put studs in or new hubs if it continues to loosen.

Check the wheel bearings too. Chances are good they may be shot from getting wet or sitting.

Still $1200 is not bad if the body is OK.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom