1980 cj5 2bbl carter/ help....

1980 cj5 2bbl carter/ help....

AzOsc80

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-5, 258 w/ Carter 2bbl, 4 speed, all stock with the exception of 32" tires and a small lift.
Hello everyone and Happy 4th of July!!!!!!

I need some serious help..... I have torn my carb apart making sure everything appears ok and it does but I am no mechanic.

I got my Jeep to idle good, took it for a spin around the block, no hesistation at all. I put the air cleaner back on, tighten it up and it starts to idle high but when I give it throttle, it sputters.......... I know there are some people out there that know what they are doing... anyone want to help????:notworthy::chug:

Hello everyone and Happy 4th of July!!!!!!

I need some serious help..... I have torn my carb apart making sure everything appears ok and it does but I am no mechanic.

I got my Jeep to idle good, took it for a spin around the block, no hesistation at all. I put the air cleaner back on, tighten it up and it starts to idle high but when I give it throttle, it sputters.......... I know there are some people out there that know what they are doing... anyone want to help????:notworthy::chug:

Check to see what the air cleaner is hitting.:D

It's not hitting anything.... I didn't do that before I adjusted the throttle plunger and needle valves..... I am frustrated :p

does it do it with the air cleaner out of the hat box??
if so try a new one or a taller one.
the accelerator pump linkage can hit the underside of the air cleaner if it is off center just a bit.:D

I have the box off. When it is off, it idles a little rough but accelerates good, when I have the box on, over the carb, it idles high and throttles like :dung:.... I don't believe it is hitting anything, I have taken if on and off so many times and as I said, it barely started doing it. There are so many darn ports and this and that, cto valves, pcv valves, egr valves blah blah blah.... I did take all of the vacuum hoses off and plugged the ones on the carb. It ran good for a while. also, dumb question, but where does the hose exactly go from the distributor to the carb?? is it right over the valve cover under the air filter and to the left side of the carb looking from front to rear? I have been told to take the egr valve out and put a plate there as well. i know it could be a lot of things, spark plug? points? I love my jeep and the weather here is riding time.......thanks guys for your input...... really appreciate it....:chug::chug::chug:

Oh, also, it will idle high when i cover the carb with my hands too......

did you take the cleaner out of the breather??
It sounds like you are not getting enough air for one reason or another, if it runs well with out the cleaner it needs too be changed if it runs poorly with out the cleaner , or as bad as it did with it it means you are hitting something with the hat box or for some reason the hat box is starving the carb..:D

ok, you mean that little sponge looking thing where the pcv tube goes in?

I will try that tomorrow. and i will double check to see if anything is hitting.. thanks, IO....

... It didn't do that before I adjusted the throttle plunger and needle valves..... I am frustrated :p

Maybe you need to readjust them.;) (I'm not trying to be a smart :censored: but if it ran ok before...)

The vac. hose from the distrubter goes to the ported (no or low vac. at idle) port on the carb. use a vac. gauge to find the right one.
You need to make sure the egr is working properly also.

I believe what IO is saying is.. take the air cleaner element (the big round one) out of the housing, than take it for a spin and see how it runs. IF it runs ok the air cleaner is not letting enough air through. (ie. dirty)

Ok, so when I take the little plate off in front of the carb, where the throttle linkage twists inside. When you give it throttle, the plunger goes down and the needles come up... any specific adjustment there I should be looking at???
I will try the air cleaner removal and run it as well.

Also, I have the distributor hose going to the port on the left side bottom of the carb, looking from front to back.

I am starting to pull my hair out.......:D, maybe that's why I am not a mechanic....:chug:

Okay my friends, check this out... I started my jeep up today, took the air box off, idled and throttled good. Put the air box on, idled the same...hmmm...

Went to back out of the drive and it started to sputter. Went back in and adjusted the plunger to where it sat in the down position more, wrong.... backed up out of the drive and it stalled and wouldn't start.

Went back and adjusted the plunger in the up position maxed out and it started and accelerated good. Backed out of the drive and it seemed ok. couldn't finish because it started to storm.... Also,,,, i sprayed carb cleaner around everywhere and found no air or vacuum leaks, engine never revved up... but I DID find out one thing guys,,,,,,,

DO NOT SPRAY CARB CLEANER AROUND THE DISTRIBUTOR OR FLAMES WILL APPEAR...... PUT EM OUT THOUGH....AAHAHAHAHAH:chug::eek::D

Hey guys, well, my jeep is running ok, still flat a bit and acts up once in a while.

I am thinking of putting an electric fuel pump on it because I have gone through two pumps already. Just changed one yesterday. Any suggestions?

Also, can anyone tell me what to disconnect and leave connected on the smog system since I don't need it where I live??

Thanks all.

Well, )*^&^*& Thanks for the Help and Replies Everyone!!!!!!!!!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom