1980 CJ5 engine/radiator help!

1980 CJ5 engine/radiator help!

Nwolford51

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Hello everyone I just bought a 1980 CJ5 that has a 350 with a TH350 Transmission . The problem that I am having is when the engine is idling with reving it up a little the temperature gauge is showing 215 degrees. The engine is running a bit hot. We checked the thermostat and it is working just fine. Checked the radiator to see if the coolant is circulating and that also is working just fine. My question is that since the jeep did not come equipped with a fan shroud could that be the problem. I am sure this swap has been done and really tring to find out what I need. If someone has this swap I would like to know a radiator would fit in there without a bunch of modification. Thanks.

Definately get a shroud. Jeeps need a shroud no matter the engine in my opinion.
Hello everyone I just bought a 1980 CJ5 that has a 350 with a TH350 Transmission . The problem that I am having is when the engine is idling with reving it up a little the temperature gauge is showing 215 degrees. The engine is running a bit hot. We checked the thermostat and it is working just fine. Checked the radiator to see if the coolant is circulating and that also is working just fine. My question is that since the jeep did not come equipped with a fan shroud could that be the problem. I am sure this swap has been done and really tring to find out what I need. If someone has this swap I would like to know a radiator would fit in there without a bunch of modification. Thanks.

The thing I am wondering is that I am not sure if this is an OEM radiator or if it has been replaced. So if I get a shroud and I see that it is cooling properly is there a reason to upgrade the radiator too?

For my curiosity, how many rows of coils do you have in your radiator??

It has a 2 core radiator. just bought a fan shroud from a wrangler and have to modify it a little to get it to work and see how that helps. I am also experiencing lower oil pressure. I am hoping that is from the engine being hot and the oil breaking down. If not I am going to throw a new oil pump in it.

IMO With the 350 you will need a 3 core if not 4 core rad. You might also want to do the taurus fan conversion.
Does it run warm on the road ?
What kind of oil press. do you have?

Last edited:
It has a 2 core radiator. just bought a fan shroud from a wrangler and have to modify it a little to get it to work and see how that helps. I am also experiencing lower oil pressure. I am hoping that is from the engine being hot and the oil breaking down. If not I am going to throw a new oil pump in it.

I am pretty sure a stock CJ radiator has 4 rows. That’s what I use on my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l so I can see a 350 having a bit of a problem keeping its cool.:cool:
Electric fans are the greatest!!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom