1980 cj7 trans ?

1980 cj7 trans ?

rwood126

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7 304 4SPEED
I'm thinking about getting a 80 CJ7 w/ AMC 304 . I drove it around a bit and it had a little grind in the Transmission going to 2nd. Not sure what Transmission is in it. He said it was a Borg Warner. I'm new to Cj's so any help will be great. Over all the jeep is in great condition and once you get past the 2nd gear grind it runs good.

I'm thinking about getting a 80 CJ7 w/ AMC 304 . I drove it around a bit and it had a little grind in the Transmission going to 2nd. Not sure what Transmission is in it. He said it was a Borg Warner. I'm new to Cj's so any help will be great. Over all the jeep is in great condition and once you get past the 2nd gear grind it runs good.

If it's factory stock & that's a big if in 30 year old Jeeps, it would be a SR4 .
A Transmission not know for it's strength, even when new.

Most AMC 304 V8's I've seen have a T-176 Tremec 4-speed not the Borg warner SR4 .

Whoops, I forgot to ask if your stick is straight or curved?

I hope this helps you out.
SR4 on bottom
T-176 on top.
ATTACH]5719[/ATTACH]

t176.jpg

Attachments

• sr4_transmission.jpg
    sr4_transmission.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 779
I kinda figured so. What could I swap it out for without a lot of mods and money. This isn't going to be much of a off road jeep.

The Tremec T-176 that came behind most V8 CJ's of that era are good smooth shifting Transmission with an aluminium case.
They aren't heavy & hold up well even with normal off road use.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom