2.5 replacement what years work?

2.5 replacement what years work?

Robbp

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ 5 360ci
Hi all, I have considered a SBC swap, however after looking a little more into the jeep I think I am just going to replace the seized 2.5 with a running 2.5.
My jeep is a 1985, what year 2.5 engines will swap right into my 1985? I want to make this as easy as possible and get this thing running as $$ have become an issue.
PS: Anyone in Ohio got an extra running 2.5 laying around ?:D

Thanks guys,
Robb

My response is purely for entertaiment and really not all that entertaining but....I'm guessing you would be money ahead fixing what you have, most anything you find is gona need some work anyway and a transplant is gona cost money in all sorts of ways you maybe unaware of.

Now let's see what the tech's say....

i agree you'll find that a swap will nickel and dime you to death. i'd probably rebuild what you have, then you'll know what you got, get it. i've never looked into rebuilding a 4 cylinder but i would say you could do it for well less than a $1000, my engine kit was $388, and machine work was $375 and that was for a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l should be a little cheaper for the 4cyl

I think I am just going to replace the seized 2.5

Do you know why it's seized up, or was it like that when you got it ?

I would be looking for a 4 cylinder cherokee. XJ's are everywhere for little or nothing and a surprising number are 4 bangers.

Do you know why it's seized up, or was it like that when you got it ?

Well...I was lead to beleive the thing was parked for 9 years and the guy just didn't want to mess with it........Now I wonder. I have broken engines loose that have sat a while before but this thing is super tight, thinking he got her waaaaayyy ttoooo hot!:mad:
I have squirted kroil, PB blaster, marvels mystery oil, and regular motor oil in the cylinders I am going to let her sit an entire week then come back to it.

Well...I was lead to beleive the thing was parked for 9 years and the guy just didn't want to mess with it........Now I wonder. I have broken engines loose that have sat a while before but this thing is super tight, thinking he got her waaaaayyy ttoooo hot!:mad:
I have squirted kroil, PB blaster, marvels mystery oil, and regular motor oil in the cylinders I am going to let her sit an entire week then come back to it.
is it auto or standard? I have had the best luck breaking them loose by droping in 4th gear and rocking it front to back. what does the oil look like?

Thanks guys, I am looking at getting it running (maybe more for the challenge than what its worth) but I would like to get my $$ back out of it and I think it would have to be running to do that. ($1200.00)
What I did is: I had that "I can do that" look in my eyes when I saw it, and now realize that I may be able to do that, but just don't have the time. I think I would be better served getting my $$ back out of it and paying a little more for something that needs a little less.

(Hind sight 20/20):cool:

Thanks
Robb

is it auto or standard? I have had the best luck breaking them loose by droping in 4th gear and rocking it front to back. what does the oil look like?

T-4 tranny (standard) Oil looks black but its there and doesn't smell burnt, no metallic junk in it.
How aggresive do you get the rocking?

T-4 tranny (standard) Oil looks black but its there and doesn't smell burnt, no metallic junk in it.
How aggresive do you get the rocking?
So far it has never taken more than me leaning into it pretty good but I guess the answer is as aggressive as you need to be. I would say that if you hooked a chain to another vehicle and pulled until the tires dragged you can pretty well figure the engine is FUBAR.
I like the leave the oil in it for a few days idea before getting too serious about it. I recommend a mixture of ½ automatic Transmission fluid and ½ acetone applied liberally to the cylinders through the plug hole. put the plugs in while it is setting but remove all of them when it is time to turn it over.:cool:
I wouldn't give up on it just yet.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom