2 Bolt vs. 6 Bolts caliper bracket

2 Bolt vs. 6 Bolts caliper bracket

fitzp20102

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83' CJ-7 258 with MOPAR FI kit 44 rear from Scout-locked F&R 36" Swampers-trail ride only, 78 CJ-7 258 stock all around street ride, '42-2A work in progress
Any thoughts on the difference between the 2 bolt and 6 bolt caliper brackets? I know the old 6 bolt brackets are found on the older narrow track 30s. Does anyone have thoughts about one being superior to the other because of strength or otherwise?

No input on the caliper question but see you have a mopar mpi on your 7 and wondering how you like it? did you go the 4.0 head too? what exhaust?

Any thoughts on the difference between the 2 bolt and 6 bolt caliper brackets? I know the old 6 bolt brackets are found on the older narrow track 30s. Does anyone have thoughts about one being superior to the other because of strength or otherwise?

I bought a beater Jeep, I was so proud when I got her started.:D
I decided to drive her home with a buddy following, instead of towing the 80 miles home.:rolleyes:
I pull on to my gravel driveway & made it half way to the barn. When the 1 remaining of the original 2 caliper bolts sheared the caliper locked the wheel had that happened on the highway earlier & I would have been toast.:eek:
The POS rig had a :dung: SOA on 35"tires, no sway bars & a custom Z tie rod. :barf:
I would have been upside down for sure.
I guess my pre-flight was not up to snuff.:wtf: No :dung:!
A 6 bolt caliper would have had to lose a lot more bolts to fail.
I guess that's a bit of a reach, but it happened to me, "Believe it or Not".;)

I bought a beater Jeep, I was so proud when I got her started.:D
I decided to drive her home with a buddy following, instead of towing the 80 miles home.:rolleyes:
I pull on to my gravel driveway & made it half way to the barn. When the 1 remaining of the original 2 caliper bolts sheared the caliper locked the wheel had that happened on the highway earlier & I would have been toast.:eek:
The POS rig had a :dung: SOA on 35"tires, no sway bars & a custom Z tie rod. :barf:
I would have been upside down for sure.
I guess my pre-flight was not up to snuff.:wtf: No :dung:!
A 6 bolt caliper would have had to lose a lot more bolts to fail.
I guess that's a bit of a reach, but it happened to me, "Believe it or Not".;)

oh, I believe it. I have actually had one bolt failure on a 2 bolt, and I suspect stupidity on the PO part that caused it. In the past, If I was looking to pull a front end together for my own long term use, I allways went with a 6 bolt unit. My reasoning is, what the hell? Can't hurt and more is allways better!

Wow, that is the first time I heard of those bolts failing... I tried forever with one set of them to even get the bolts out and the wouldn't budge, so breaking them I thought would be pretty tough... I guess not.

I believe that the postal Jeeps had 6 bolts on them on the NT Dana 30 's... you can try to search them and you could probably get it for pretty cheap.

cb

I never even heard of this issue. Great now I am going to develop a caliper bolt inferiority complex.

I never even heard of this issue. Great now I am going to develop a caliper bolt inferiority complex.

X2.

I doubt It's a common issue. I STRONGLY suspect some shenanigans on the part of the bucket head I bought mine from. He had been very buisy "fixin er up" but was just too buisy to finish er up. (read as, I have no clue what I'm doing, so I cobbled as many parts as I could back on there so I could sell It.) I'm willing to bet the bolts had been either removed and not torqued back in, or simply broken in trying to remove them. Any hoo, I still go to a 6 bolt set up when I can.

Funny thing about the MOPAR MPI kit. It was cheaper when it first came out. I've had it since 1997 and love it. It was great on the road and now great in my permanent trail ride. I just have the tuned port injection manifold, and computer with fuel pump etc. It is CARB legal and comes with a sticker. It jumps you up to 190 HP (as I recall), which is really remarkable. I would certainly suggest it to anyone. Although a 4.0 liter out of a newer cherokee of something it just as easy... and cheaper.

OK. Sounds good... Next question, are the caliper brackets interchangeable from narrow track to wide track? I have a wide track with 2 bolt brackets, will the 6 bolt brackets fit? Do I need to get the earlier rotors and calipers then too since they're thicker?

I think you need from the knuckels out, as the spindels are different too.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom