258 Exhaust Flange

258 Exhaust Flange

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
Does anyone happen to know whether the flange that connects the front exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold is the same for all years of the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?

In other words, can a front pipe from an older AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l (without a catalytic converter) fit a newer AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with one?? Obviously, the length of the exhaust pipes are different, but is the 2 bolt flange the same?

I think so. The difference is on the manifold. You have a donut gasket or you have a cast surface on the manifold.

Does anyone happen to know whether the flange that connects the front exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold is the same for all years of the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?

In other words, can a front pipe from an older AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l (without a catalytic converter) fit a newer AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with one?? Obviously, the length of the exhaust pipes are different, but is the 2 bolt flange the same?

I think so. The difference is on the manifold. You have a donut gasket or you have a cast surface on the manifold.

Thanks! Unfortunately, one of the exhaust flange studs (on the top) has been broken off. It's not leaking right now, so I'm not going to mess with replacing the front pipe since the whole manifold will have to come off to be drilled out and retapped.

if you dont mind me sayin, if it has to come off and you dont have to worry about emissions i would think about slappin headers on there and get rid of that cast iron piece of :dung: ive already had to replace exhaust and intake manifold gaskets because of the weight and vibration of the engine ratting the bolts loose

A muffler shop could sell you any flange you need

if you dont mind me sayin, if it has to come off and you dont have to worry about emissions i would think about slappin headers on there and get rid of that cast iron piece of :dung: ive already had to replace exhaust and intake manifold gaskets because of the weight and vibration of the engine ratting the bolts loose

A muffler shop could sell you any flange you need

Thanks! I was able to piece together a new exhaust for now, but will definitely need to do something better when I get to the "purdying up" stage!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom