258 Rebuild. cam or no cam??

258 Rebuild. cam or no cam??

Az84cj7

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 cj7 Inline 6, mopar fuel injection , T5 trans, dana 300, Dana 44's
I discovered I had two bad piston rings in my 84cj7. It has the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I decided to have the motor rebuilt. The fuel delivery is equiped with Mopars fuel injection kit. (Awsome kit) What I am wanting to know is if I throw a MILD RV CAM in the new motor will this harm or make the injection kit not operate properly? I couldn't tell ya if it had the stock cam in it when I pulled the engine?

let us know what he says.:cool:

There's no better time to put in an upgrade cam than when you're doing a rebuild. Make the call, get the advice, buy the cam, enjoy.

There should be an updated prom available for your kit allowing for the better camshaft.

Do you have the 4.0 head? I am running that with the Mopar and I can't say by itself what benifit you get but you will get larger valves, smaller cumbustion chamber(more compression), better designed intake port design and the ability to use a 4.0 header type exhaust manifold. runs OK on regular with a slight ping under load and too much throttle but is eliminated on premium.

Thanks for the help. I gave bennie a call at Hesco today. You were right, rvob cam is what he suggested. It will not affect performance or harm the engine with the mopar kit fuel injection....... Thanks again.

Thanks for the help. I gave bennie a call at Hesco today. You were right, rvob cam is what he suggested. It will not affect performance or harm the engine with the mopar kit fuel injection....... Thanks again.

Bennie be "Da Man" on questions like this.

Mopar contracted Hesco to build and race the Jeeps in the old XX series (cannot recall the race series name) race program. They have some engines upstairs in storage that will blow you away. :eek:

Bennie and Leee (3 E`s in Leee) know more about Jeep engines then anyone. Including Mopar/AMC or whatever.

Glad it worked out for you !!:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom