3/4 ton think thats strong enough?

3/4 ton think thats strong enough?

Jroch

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 1985 CJ, 2006 E250
I am tossing around the idea of switching my running gear on the Jeep mainly do to frustrations of not knowing exactly what I have so on and so forth. Today I can across a 79 Chevy that a guy is parting out or will sell as a whole for 500$. All the running gear is there with the exception of the motor, which I don't care about as I will put crate motor in. You think 3/4 is strong enough or should I wait to find a 1 ton? OR should I just bag the idea and stick with what I got?

what are you going it be doing with the CJ?
Mud bogs
rock climbing (I know..your in FL! :laugh:)
How big of tires do you want to run?
Do you want it street-legal?

tell us exactly what you want to do with the Jeep and we can give a recommendation.
If your not sure yet, don't waste your money on full-size axles (yet).
Wheel it for a bit, then if you break the axles a few times, then think about upgrading.

what are you going it be doing with the CJ?
Mud bogs
rock climbing (I know..your in FL! :laugh:)
How big of tires do you want to run?
Do you want it street-legal?

tell us exactly what you want to do with the Jeep and we can give a recommendation.
If your not sure yet, don't waste your money on full-size axles (yet).
Wheel it for a bit, then if you break the axles a few times, then think about upgrading.

Well I think Rock Climbing is out LOL unless I head north for some ride in's
Most likely will see a lot of mud as thats mainly what we have here
Street legal yes, but Fl. has no hieght rules or width rules "tires don't have to be within fenders" pretty much down here if you have a plate on it and seat belts your good to go:D
Tire size unsure? I just bought the 33's I would say that most likely I would never go larger then 37's?
I am not looking to make it extremely tall, I would like to put a 383 stroker in it down the road.
Again I am just in the planning stages and weighing out my options

I vote stick with what you have. find out what needs to change. The only way to find out what is weak is to brake some things.:oops:
Did you ever stop to think that if you want a one ton truck maybe you should build a one ton truck?

I think you need to throw out that AMC20 rear and find a good Dana 44 or a nine inch, keep the Dana 300 and the Dana 30 , both are legendary, do a full floater conversion on both, lets figure out your tranny and we can tell you from there. when you have to pay 500 bucks for a adapter, make sure you need it first, you do not even know what you have and want to change it, Lets figure out the tranny, we just found out the only bad thing you have is the rear end. Paitence Grasshopper, when you can catch the mosquito with teh chop sticks.......

I think you need to throw out that AMC20 rear and find a good Dana 44 or a nine inch, keep the Dana 300 and the Dana 30 , both are legendary, do a full floater conversion on both, lets figure out your tranny and we can tell you from there. when you have to pay 500 bucks for a adapter, make sure you need it first, you do not even know what you have and want to change it, Lets figure out the tranny, we just found out the only bad thing you have is the rear end. Paitence Grasshopper, when you can catch the mosquito with teh chop sticks.......

Baja what is the "floater conversion" so IYO you think the front and the transfer good to go? will a Dana 44 "does this come from Jeep" or the 9" match the front as far as width? The PO told me the Transmission is a T-14 Cast Iron? You are correct on the paitence LMAO I stand in front of a Microwave yelling come on :D Just frustrating trying to find parts or how to up grade the 3/4 ton seemed fairly simple to rectify the issue.

I really appreciate your assitance with this :chug::notworthy:

I vote stick with what you have. find out what needs to change. The only way to find out what is weak is to brake some things.:oops:
Did you ever stop to think that if you want a one ton truck maybe you should build a one ton truck?

Hey I'm offended:eek:, my "8" is registered as a 1 ton farm truck. With front & read D60's & a T-19 granny. it qualifies.:laugh:

Baja what is the "floater conversion" so IYO you think the front and the transfer good to go? will a Dana 44 "does this come from Jeep" or the 9" match the front as far as width? The PO told me the Transmission is a T-14 Cast Iron? You are correct on the paitence LMAO I stand in front of a Microwave yelling come on :D Just frustrating trying to find parts or how to up grade the 3/4 ton seemed fairly simple to rectify the issue.

I really appreciate your assitance with this :chug::notworthy:
If I have learned one thing in this life it is that "nothing is ever as easy as it first looks" Underline nothing:laugh:

the axles from the factory usually are semi floating. when you add disconnecting hubs you convert them to full floating, what this does is gets the weight of the jeep off the inner axle shaft and puts it on the outer, this really is how it should be and it decreases the chance of snapping the inner axle shaft very significantly. I like to do this both front and rear.
Yes D44s come in a lot of jeeps, they are getting hard to find as they are very popular, you also can still find ford 9 inch, now if those are out of the budget range look for a ford 8.8, but be careful not to get the c clip version as they are weak, get the explorer version. they are cheap and have a large collection of aftermarket parts available. Stick with that tranny, it is plenty strong.

One thing I would want to know is what axles does the truck have. Some 3/4 ton trucks use the same axles as 1/2 ton. Thats why most people go 1 tons. With the big axles you will need the 37's to keep from dragging your pumpkins.
If your only running 33's now I would run what you have till you start breaking things and up grade from there.
I run 33's with the jeep axles (one piece in the rear) with no problems.:)

Best I can see is that a 3/4 ton uses bigger brakes and springs, you get stronger drive train at 1 ton. Although there have been exceptions to this rule, I know that on work trucks we never get 1/2 or 3/4 ton trucks as the do not hold up to the load we put on them. However the 1 ton Chevys go 250 thousand plus, mine has 261 and we are just now thinking about changing it out for a new truck.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom