302 swap, axles, tranny advice

302 swap, axles, tranny advice

81jeepswap

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, 5.3 Liter, T-19, Dana 300 w/ twin sticks, Dana 60 Front w/ trac lock, Corp 14 w/ Detroit locker, 4 wheel disk brakes. 2007 Subaru STI, 2007 Suburban Z71.
Ah, nice to be in a CJ forum!!! I have purchased a 1981 CJ7 Laredo about a month ago. I have access to a 302 out of a 1994 mustang that I would like to use. I've read pros and cons about the swap but would apprciate the input from fellow jeepers. I want to run 37's on her but I dont think the stock AMC20 and Dana 30 will handle them, what would be an affordable option, and if I do go with a one ton axles, how much should I narrow them? As far as the Tranny goes, it seems that a M5R2 would bolt right up to the 302 but not sure if the Dana 300 Transfer Case would work? Any suggestions would be of great appreciation/help. I want this to be a quality build that still goes down the highway with great trail capability! Thanks and its great to be apart of your forum!!!:chug:

Hmmm its a jeep so you can do whatever your wallet can stand....... the 302 would be great if you keep the efi and ac, there are adapters out there from Novak and Advanced Adapters to adapt to your existing tranny, the Dana 30 and AMC20 probably wont handle 37s about 35s is the most they usually handle. Try Dana 44 /GM14/D60/FORD 9 axles to handle the 37s

Welcome aboard :chug:

nothing wrong with a 302. what are you planning to do with the jeep
is it going to be a on road or off road jeep?

... somewhere in the middle... would be ideal. I would like to be able to drive 70mph down the highway and have confidence that I can go where ever I point her. It wont be a daily driver but would like to be able to drive her to the trail. I just purchased a RRO, SOA kit with the shakles. I know alot of people dont like the SOA "kits" but it seems to fit my criteria the best. I also purchased the YJ conversion w/springs. I figure that once I get the drive train tuned in I will focus one some "real" axles and weld the perches to them. I am a lil leary of the height that I'm obtaining w/ the SOA kit and road worthyness!

I have to admit I'm one of the people that isn't a fan of "bolt on" soa kits.
one of the bigest problems is they really don't address the steering isues.
(at least the didn't use to, not sure now)
Let us know how it all works out,(and take some pix) hopefully the kits have gotten better over the years.
The Dana 30 and AMC20 won't like the 37's to well, but if you take it easy on them they should last you till you up grade.

I bought the drop down drag link that sould put everything back into good geometry. I will give you an honest opinion after all is done and said w/ pictures, as they say a picture is worth a thousand tales. Thanks for your input; looks like you have a great jeep club going!!!

I don't think anyone on this site has put the RRO kit on there jeep
so you can be the first to do a write up on one. :)

As for my 4x4 club, we don't have any "extreme wheel'n" around here but we like to have fun on what we have.:D
we have a member with a EFI 302 in his yj, he's had good luck with it.
the engine is about the only thing I haven't seen him break.

You wouldnt happen to know what tranny he used? I am really torn between a few of them...

That would be great, it would be nice to talk with someone that actually has done this swap and what pit falls to be aware of.

I just got back from our club meeting. I forgot we have two people running 302's, both are running T-18 's. One of them is going to be changing to a c6 in the near future. More and more people are changing over to auto's for the kind of wheeling we do. (more rocks and less mud)

Last edited:
If I was going to swap in a Ford V8, I'd certainly give a lot of thought to a T-18 /T19 out of a full size pickup. Depending on the budget, I'd adapt the Dana 300 or get an Atlas or Stak Transfer Case .

As for axles, I'd look into swapping in something like a Dana 44 from a scout or a Wagoneer in the front and something to match it in the rear. Some chrome moly shafts and you should be able to handle 37's just fine.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom