304 head bolts into water jacket

304 head bolts into water jacket

grunt

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ 304, 400 automatic
Which head bolt or head bolts go into the water jacket on a AMC 304 ? :confused: Here is a picture. Can someone tell me which number or numbers? Thanks ...

bolts2.png

I don't remember using any sealant on any V8 heads I have installed. Anti-seize - yes, sealant no. I'll check my manual when I get home to be sure.

I almost positive the two forward and the rear bolts for the intake need sealer though.

If I use RVT from permatex, do I use the blue or black?.....the two forward and rear on the intake. Should I put on all? .....Just don't want any leaks. Appreciate the info.....

Blue, black, green, clear - as long as it can take a little heat you should be good. I always keep a tube of Blue (non O2 sensored vehicles) and brow (o2 sensors) around so I always fall back to blue.

I don't remember using any sealant on any V8 heads I have installed. Anti-seize - yes, sealant no. I'll check my manual when I get home to be sure.

I almost positive the two forward and the rear bolts for the intake need sealer though.

Hello CJ,did you ever check your manual for head bolt sealant? I just want to be absolutely sure. Thanks...

Thanks again CJ!!! Just waiting on a ordered head gasket. I will post my results in the nearby future...

Isn't this the one you have already changed out the head gasket?

If so, please get a machinist (might have to rent it from a local machine shop) straight edge and check the block and the head for straightness.

Yes , this is the same head gasket. I never took particular care on cleaning the block surface, head and bolts the first time around. Also I never used sealant on those end intake manifold bolts. Before the burnt valve, I no issue with a antifreeze leak. Would any straight edge work? Its that money is real tight here. ...I got a new intake valley pan, with the suggested permatex ultra grey for the water ports and the copper spray gasket which I plan on useing on one side of the head gasket and other ports. I'm thinking on rolling the dice...

It would need to be a good straight edge as you are only looking at about .01 (off the top of my head) max before it can be an issue.

What head gaskets are you using (part #)?

Also, what head bolts? Are they new? If not how many times have they been used?

Oh...ok. The head gasket is a Fel pro. Part # 8211 PT -1 The one with one blue side to it. The head bolts are not new. I'm thinking this will be the second time around since the last time I only had a few minutes of engine running time on them . I clean them up well and inspected the threads carefully. They are not galled and look new to my naked eye. Anymore insight is appreciated...

Is that a Perma Torque gasket? AFAIK they do NOT use any sealer.

This one?

attachment.php

Well its been a while and I have a crack somewhere. I have another complete AMC 304 motor I will put in. I'll go through the old AMC 304 this winter. Appreciate all the help....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom