304 head gasket blues...

304 head gasket blues...

grunt

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ 304, 400 automatic
Recently replaced a exhaust burnt valve on my AMC 304 . Lapped it in and put it back together. Got a new Fel Pro blue head gasket. I torque the head down in sequence and creep up to the correct lbs. Put all back together and I have a small leak:mad:. I can see I'm burning some antifreeze. Looks like its coming out the oil fill tube slightly. Should I have us a copper spray on the gasket? I put it on dry. Also which head bolts go into the water jacket? I did put thread sealer on the bolts but I could'nt get all the antifreeze out of the engine. If I can remember right it was where head bolt #14 ( or #13) pictured below. Please someone help! appreciate any info....

bolts2.png

I put new head gaskets on my 401, uses the same gasket as the AMC 304 . I used edelbrock head gaskets, it has seals around the water jacket ports and is installed dry.if I remember the Fel- pros don't have the extra seals. Sounds like the head needs to come back off. Maybe have the head checked and planned.

Thanks Purple77CJ7 for the info. Does anybody know which head bolts protrude in to the water jacket? Any other info is appreciated...

Check with Bulltear forum, they are real knowlagable on Amc engines, or the Amc forum. I bet they can answer your question.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom