304 headers....

derekcj5

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5 AMC304 T150 Dana 30/Aussie Locker Model 20/Trac Lock

1941 Willy's MB
anybody running in frame AMC 304 headers with duals with success? on a CJ5 that is.... lookin to ditch the manifold... i hate glasspacks, but i want side exhaust possibly...need two small mufflers so you cant see them under the doors, i hate that sight... any suggestions???

I ran a dual exhaust with mufflers using in the frame headers and rear exit. Just need a competent muffler shop to set it up. It's tight though. :)

Not a great picture, but it's all I have... You can see the rear exits, a bit of the left muffler and the headers and the right collector.

left_over_mud.jpg

I've got in the frame duals on a 7. As cj said they were made by a muffler shop here in town. I paid $300 for the 2 1/2" pipes from the headers to the rear bumper. (no cats)
As far as what mufflers to use. You said you don't like glasspacks, I'm not sure what else you will find thats small enough to fit.

here's the rear of mine.. inframe headers to straight pipes to cherry bombs.
th_1030090824a.jpg

I am running in frame headers on my C.J.-5, did it myself. I have full size flowmaster knock offs and they will fit. I had to shorten the collectors to keep them in front of the skidplate and I welded the mufflers up about an inch off the back of the skid. It is a little tight between the framerail and the Transfer Case and the fuel tank and spring pack on the pass. side but the 2 1/2" pipe will squeeze through.

Cj thanks for the pic thats not bad.... like the 90 bends in the back, its different and wont mess with your departure any. i might look into a setup like that.. (thumbs up)

The pipes exit right behind the rear wheels. I'm pretty sure its glass packs and that's it. They brought back emissions teating after I got it. I had to add some small racing cats from Summit then.
where does the pipes exit? curious if they have a kit minus the glasspacks... dont care for the sound much

Cj thanks for the pic thats not bad.... like the 90 bends in the back, its different and wont mess with your departure any. i might look into a setup like that.. (thumbs up)
I'ts hard to tell but the exits aren't 90, about 70 degrees, I figured that would be less restriction and still not fubar the DA.

I have Doug Thorley in frame headers, with 2.5" exhaust out the back with 2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers. They exit behind the rear tire @ about a 90* bend. I had a muffler shop do the install, since it is pretty dang tight under there.

I have Doug Thorley in frame headers, with 2.5" exhaust out the back with 2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers. They exit behind the rear tire @ about a 90* bend. I had a muffler shop do the install, since it is pretty dang tight under there.

Are those the Tri-Y headers?
Your running your exhaust under the frame rails?

Being in California my options for "smog legal" headers are Limited . I'll be going with Edlebrock shorty 50 state legal headers with the A.I.R. injection pipes on'em.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom