304 junk now what

304 junk now what

cjnewbie

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj7 360 3 speed
well i am new to the jeep thing and not haveing much fun yet my jeep ran for about 3 hours total and i found this it had plenty of oil pressure and seamed to happen all at once so oh well but I have a 383 chevy that i built for a camaro and never put in or would i be better off finding a 360 or just rebuilding the AMC 304 any input guys

well i am new to the jeep thing and not haveing much fun yet my jeep ran for about 3 hours total and i found this it had plenty of oil pressure and seamed to happen all at once so oh well but I have a 383 chevy that i built for a camaro and never put in or would i be better off finding a 360 or just rebuilding the AMC 304 any input guys

Sorry to here that.:(
It always worries me when I here about a newly rebuilt motor,
just needs ( ) fill in the blank.;)

If it was me, I'd find a 401V8 to rebuild. The 401's all have forged rod, crank,& pistons, but they don't come cheap.(I just love 401's)
The 360's are cheap & easy to find & generally have plenty of power for a CJ.

I am wondering if a 401 crank and rods will fit in the AMC 304 ?:dunno:

is that just the mopar 360 ?

No, the AMC 360. The Mopar 360 and the AMC are nothing alike, and depending on your tranny/Transfer Case options it will not be very difficult to find an adapter for.

See what happens when I start to reply then walk away to take a leak, I'm five minutes behind the rest of the conversation...

ya i figured that was a stupid question after i ask it oh well so is the AMC 304 crank forged or cast? and how hard or crank and rods to find ?

Only the 390 & 401 V8's came factory with forged reciprocating assemblies.
There was a rare, repeat RARE! AMC 304 V8 forged crank for Transmission /AM racing.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom