304 or 302

304 or 302

adkinscj5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Cj5 with a Ford 302
Ok so first tread on this site. Recently purchased a 79 CJ5 for a wopping 400. Got it for a steal due to the fact that the original AMC 304 was shot. Have the option to replace the AMC 304 with a Ford 302 carburated or rebuild the 302. Have the knowledge combined between me and my oldman to do it my self. Before I make it happen would like some insite as to which will be cheaper, easier, and overall more worth it in the long run. The 302 runs fine no issues and im trackin the flywheel starter issue right now. Any and all ideas are welcome ready to get this baby back to wheelin shape.

i say keep it original with the AMC 304 , it will be worth it in the future.

302 = head ache. Not in the easy and commonly done zone.

Staying with the AMC 304 is my first thought, due to the sevarity of the condition of that engine though my budget eye is sayin the 302 still up in the air waiting for more info thanks for commenting.

Aside from the obvious not a jeep specific engine and not much if any will line up can you elaborate on some of the more obvious headaches Im probally overlooking? Thanks for the advise.

Radiator / hoses. Throttle linkage. Exhaust hook ups and dumps. Motor mounts. Transmission mounts, Transmission connection. Drive shafts front and rear. Different Transmission = floor board mods.

You will have to re-engineer your whole drive line.

My vote would be for the AMC 304 .
You may be able to find a 360 or 401 that would drop write in.
I know people have put ford motors in cj's but I'm sure there are more head aches than rewards.

Yeah I agree with all on the headaches part. Although Im told the 302 has already been bolted up to the Transmission just to see if it fit and aligned perfectly with the current Transmission thats in there just have to move the motor mounts but gonna need a ford started to engage in that ford fly wheel now. If I wasnt in afganistan id be able to get a better break down of pros and cons right now all i have is you guys and a few phone call home to see the real damage. Keep up the good posts though. All insight is good insight in my book really appreciate it all.

If you must replace the AMC 304 I would swap with a 401 as I can pick up those ready for a rebuild here in Denver on CL for around $300 and everything bolts up and will fit. Just my .02

Staying with the AMC 304 is my first thought, due to the sevarity of the condition of that engine though my budget eye is sayin the 302 still up in the air waiting for more info thanks for commenting.
Thanks for serving our country and keep your head down and stay safe.:notworthy:
I also would stay with the AMC 304 ,360,401 just they will drop in easier and everything will fit right up.:)

I am one of the few AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l fans left in the world so I think I can be totally objective in saying find a jeep motor. They are not that hard to find and depending on your own personal level of insanity choose the size. Keeping in mind that you are short and narrow and tall. The 302 is a great little short stroke and one of my favorite motors ever, I don't think you should have any problem selling it or trading it fro a jeep motor. Life will be much easier and you will be on the trail a lot sooner.
Keep your head down.:cool:

Yea another vote to keep it all AMC.
Drop a 360 in it, dont mess with the AMC 304 . more power no more work...
360 is the perfect engine for a CJ. Lots of power and the potential for more, no so much that is will break driveline parts every trip.
Y not a 401? can you say parts breakage?

One more thing, when and if you go with a jeep motor be sure it has the flywheel you need. a AMC 304 will not fit a 360 will not fit a 401 and the flywheel is balanced to the crank assembly of the motor. just one of the interesting little things about Jeeps some of us have found the hard way.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom