351c c6 into cj7

351c c6 into cj7
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7 custom, Toyota 4Runner. 81 Bronco ute conversion. Hemi WH
I have an 83 CJ7 and wish to fit the driveline from my 81 bronco. Has anyone done the conversion yet. I will opt for the atlas Transfer Case but i have a problem so far with rear tail shaft angles upon dry measurement. View attachment 3399

Last edited by a moderator:
to have a mod move the post, just click the "triangle with the number 1 in it" on the left side under your name.

as for a 351C, IIRC, that family of engine has a very tall block. Have you checked for valve cover clearance yet?
What oil pan will you be using? you may have to find a dual sump pan to clear the front axle under maximum suspension compression.
The Atlas should be able to be 'clocked', or rotated, to help with your tailshaft angle. But you will loose some ground clearance.

Yeh the height seems to be ok, i think i may manage with the axle clearance although i have fabricated a upper A frame design and found clearance was an issue at the ball joint 'housing side'. At the moment i have tacked two separate upper arms in with panhard rod but i dont like the axle walk from the 'panhard turning moment'. I do beleive atlas transfers can be made to order with specific indexing to allow for rotational positioning. With my setup the transfer can be perfectly horizontal with no drop due to the very long front tail shaft. my main concern is the Transmission and Transfer Case length. I have a Vortec 350, a 727 with Transfer Case adapter and the 351c running my bronco. Due to rust its a perfect doner car but may cause excessive rear tailshaft angles. I guess its a question of money to buy an amc small block or fit the chev. what do you think?

Am I lost or is there a brake booster on the passenger side and the hydraulic steering unit on the driver side??

Moved the thread as requested.
I'd stuff the 351 in just mount it as far forward as possible,
use a ford contour fan setup for cooling.
You should be good as far as drive angles.

It's not much different than any other V8.

Am I lost or is there a brake booster on the passenger side and the hydraulic steering unit on the driver side??

He is in Australia, so its probably right hand drive... :chug:

Yes it is a factory right hand drive CJ7 for Australian market. Unfortunately they only came with the inline six, i am envious of AMC 304 CJ7 owners in the states. Any way i think i will bite the bullet and try the 351c

The 351C got my attention! Huge Cleveland fan. It must me an Aussie motor of course with the nice Aussie heads. Do you have any work into it?
I run 4v heads in my mustang, never really though to put one in the Jeep.
Interested to see how this comes out!
-Duane

The engine is an australian version 010 block with the four bolt main caps and runs at 185-190PSI of compression on all 8 cylinders. Someone must have done a few things to it probably a freshen up and cam. So basically it is just a close to standard setup but a good engine at that. Most of our terrain here is Mountainous rutted trails with sand stone shelves and boggy steep climbs so at times you need to use your power. maybe fuel injection is the best answer for this engine.

From that description Im thinking f.i. is the way to go. ;) I love the drivetrain your using. How about a "build thread" so we can all have something to drool over? :drool:
Most of our terrain here is Mountainous rutted trails with sand stone shelves and boggy steep climbs so at times you need to use your power. maybe fuel injection is the best answer for this engine.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom