360 mild engine build

360 mild engine build

buechecj7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7 304 1/2 ton axles 3 speed manual
i just got a 360 out of a cherokee chief and want to put it in my CJ7

pointers and tips on what to do to build i have about 2 thousand to spend any help greatly appreciated.

i will be using an automatic trany and mostly just for sand and some street driving

get some motor mounts a bigger radiator and a flex plate to hook up to your auto Transmission and go for it :chug: I swapped a 360 in my CJ it is pretty basic you will need to reroute the alt and distro wires extend the fuel line. Hook up your PS lines and route some vacum lines.I have the advance adapters motor mounts and am thoroughly disappointed. They broke off the top of my frame :eek: The motor bolts up to the tranny so your good there. The last stop is the muffler shop. I did a 2.5 dual set up on mine. Your motor makes plenty of power out of the box so you dont need to hot rod it much.If you have the money for a new oil pump/and housing its worth the money to not wipe out the bearings. You might also want to look into making a tracktion bar for the rear end I snaped several U joints from the torque my engine put out :chug: enjoy it PM me if you need some help

i just got a 360 out of a cherokee chief and want to put it in my CJ7

pointers and tips on what to do to build i have about 2 thousand to spend any help greatly appreciated.

i will be using an automatic trany and mostly just for sand and some street driving
A good rebuild for AMC is,

Check line bore, polish crank if needed.

Resize rods if needed.

RV cam and new lifters.

Check bore, hone if needed (you will be lucky), at worst rebore and buy new pistons.

New rings

Replace timing cover and oil pump gears -- See www.bulltear.com

Normal head work -- check guides, grind valves, replaces seals and springs.

A stock 360 will work great in your CJ.

If I were you I would pull the oil pan and pull the center main cap off and look at it. If you are not competent to read it take it to a mechanic and have him look at it. If it is fine then you can sort of bet the rest of the motor is ok. Save your money and put the motor in and then drive it for awhile you will then be in a better position to make other judgments about it. It will take a few bucks for miscellaneous parts and pieces to get it going right off the bat. Bulltear.com is a excellent place to get AMC motor parts. They specialize in AMC only. If you have any problems motor wise call them they are very helpful.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom