4.2 to 4.0 swap?

4.2 to 4.0 swap?

seanmnew

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7 & 06 Liberty Sport
:confused: What would it intail to swap the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l for the 4.0? I have done swaps before, but not this one... would the tranny bolt up? or would i have to use the 4.0 tranny? if i used that could i use my Dana 300 ? or would it be better and easier to do the 4.0 head swap? I am just trying to get rid of my carbureted:mad: stuff

:confused: What would it intail to swap the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l for the 4.0? I have done swaps before, but not this one... would the tranny bolt up? or would i have to use the 4.0 tranny? if i used that could i use my Dana 300 ? or would it be better and easier to do the 4.0 head swap? I am just trying to get rid of my carbureted:mad: stuff

The motor mounts are different, I'm all most positive the bell housing is different. There are adapters available. The head swap is an option, Intake & exhaust are different. What problems are you having with your carb?

What problems are you having with your carb?

I currently live in Colorado Springs, which sits about 6300 or so feet, and i do most of my wheeling at 8000 to 14000 feet! The carb is just not reliable enough for me, i have stalled out on steep hills when it floods out, and im just tired of going down hills backwards! To me a throttle body or fuel injection is priceless!

I currently live in Colorado Springs, which sits about 6300 or so feet, and i do most of my wheeling at 8000 to 14000 feet! The carb is just not reliable enough for me, i have stalled out on steep hills when it floods out, and im just tired of going down hills backwards! To me a throttle body or fuel injection is priceless!

It's cheaper to convert to propane. All you need is a mixer & a tank, I have some buddies that use fork lift tanks. Tuneups last longer, it runs cleaner & it'll run upside down.:eek: Better have dry sump with a big oil tank for that though.:laugh: I'm running a "Holley Off Road Avenger". It's far & away the most reliable & trouble free carb I've ever run. I've run a lot of carbs, this is the best. :chug: I understand the changing altitude issue though.

It's cheaper to convert to propane. All you need is a mixer & a tank, I have some buddies that use fork lift tanks. Tuneups last longer, it runs cleaner & it'll run upside down.:eek: Better have dry sump with a big oil tank for that though.:laugh: I'm running a "Holley Off Road Avenger". It's far & away the most reliable & trouble free carb I've ever run. I've run a lot of carbs, this is the best. :chug: I understand the changing altitude issue though.
Oh it'a also 105 octane so you can mill your head to increase compression. & it's cheaper than gas to boot.;)

I dont believe i feel like going propane lol, it took me long enough to get to learn all the workings of a gas engine, dont feel like dealing with more!

I dont believe i feel like going propane lol, it took me long enough to get to learn all the workings of a gas engine, dont feel like dealing with more!

The mixer is less complicated & has fewer parts than a carb. It' pre- vaporized & wants to stay that way unlike gasoline that want to be a liquid. They make simple conversion kits, you can even keep the stock carb in-place so it's dual fuel gasoline or propane.

Here are a few pic'sjeep propane tank-r.jpg.jpg

Propane Pwrd jeepeng.jpg

total propane kit.jpg

For the money it's hard to beat. You'd think I was on commission, but I just think it's cool. :drool:
7957_1_83_1.JPG

pixel.gif
JEEP AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l PROPANE KIT FOR 6 CYL. CARBURATED ENGINE

Price: $695.00
This item is in stock
Quantity:
Brief Description
Detailed Description
Specifications

FREE SHIPPING TO THE 48 STATES
INCLUDES: IMPCO ORIGINAL MIXER
ALSO: IMPCO STYLE MODEL E CONVERTER:
ADAPTER TO FIT YOUR INTAKE MANIFOLD 3 1/4" x 1 7/8" bolt pattern (not pictured) :
EDLEBROCK AIR FILTER ALONG WITH ALL HOSING, FITTINGS ETC. TO COMPLETE THE INSTALLATION
NOTE: GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED
SHIPS IN 1 OR 2 DAYS FROM ORDER
FREE SHIPPING IN THE 48 STATES
moz-screenshot-16.png

one thing i have not noticed is it saying anything about the ability to run as a daily driver, could i set this up to run gas normally and propane when i go wheeling? or would it be cost effective enough and not too much on the engine to run propane for daily driving?

one thing i have not noticed is it saying anything about the ability to run as a daily driver, could i set this up to run gas normally and propane when i go wheeling? or would it be cost effective enough and not too much on the engine to run propane for daily driving?

I guess it would depend on availability of propane in you area. It's no problem here. My wheeling buddy runs it every day in his rig. They make a dual fuel kit so you can run gasoline or propane.
pixel.gif

%21BSCO7%29g%21mk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-D4EjlLlzw8%21BKBGqISPOw%7E%7E_1_284_1.JPG

pixel.gif
DUAL FUEL PROPANE & GAS KIT V8 ENGINES & HOLLEY 4 BRL.

Price: $950.00
This item is in stock
Quantity:
Brief Description
Detailed Description
Specifications

FREE SHIPPING TO THE 48 STATES sku
pixel.gif
free-gallery.gif

Click Here. Double your traffic. Get Vendio Gallery - Now FREE!

APPLICATION: ANY ENGINE USING A HOLLEY 4 BARREL W/5 1/8" AIR HORN
FEATURES: ALLOWS YOU TO RUN PROPANE OR GASOLINE
NOTE: PROPANE MIXER MOUNTS ON TOP OF GASOLINE CARB.
INCLUDES: EDELBROCK 14" AIR CLEANER, IMPCO STYLE MODEL E VAPORIZER, IMPCO CT425M-2 MIXER, ALL MATERIAL TO COMPLETE UNDER THE HOOD INSTALATION
FREE SHIPPING TO THE 48 STATES
SHIPS IN 1 OR 2 DAYS FROM TIME OF ORDER (IN MOST CASES)

On the propane set up, how does it work in the cold weather? I have dealt with it on forklifts and when it got down around freezing the thing would freeze up and not work. Have you had any issues like this?

I swapped in a 4.0 from a $200. rolled over XJ. Installed a 4.0 flywhheel grafted in a YJ harness and the XJ computer. I used the Hesco pilot bushing and modified my T-176 bellhousing and made an adapter to mount the CPS. Got the '91 style VSS and mounted an external fuel pump(used a NAPA replacement YJ pump). Google Jeep CJ4 .0 swap all the info is out there. I spent more time researching it than doing the swap. I am VERY pleased with the performance of the 4.0 and highly recommend the swap.

My two cents:

The sweetest of swaps. Go with a 4.0 in front of an NV3550, use a clocking ring and keep the Dana 300 . Pretty much bolt up.

You gain a 4.02 first and .73 Overdrive . Throw in a 4:1 LoMax to get a 73 crawl. Beef the axles, add 35's, a 4" lift and you have quite a rig you can still drive on the street.

I forgot, you also get an injection system engineered from the factory for the 4.0. Easy to fix and diagnose.

Or do an NV4500 and get a 102 crawl.

Paul

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom