401 question

401 question

ken98k

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
{1980 cj-5, 258, t-176, d300 amc20 rear, D30}{1974 cj-5, 304, T-15, D20, D30 front, D44 rear}{1973 cj-5, 304, t-98,D20, amc20, D30}
{1990 yj 2.5L i-4 AX-5 NP231 Dana 30 front Dana 35c rear}
1996 XJ Cherokee 4.0 HO
{2000 silverado}
{1979 Cadillac Sedan DeVille}
Is a 401 a big block? is there an external size difference between AMC 304 -360-401?

The AMC 304 , 360, 390 and 401 all basically share the same engine block. The only differences is the bore and stroke.
For that reason you can swap out between any of these engines and still use the same engine mounts, water pump, alternators and other accessories.

I would like to know the answer to that myself.

The AMC 304 , 360, 390 and 401 all basically share the same engine block. The only differences is the bore and stroke.
For that reason you can swap out between any of these engines and still use the same engine mounts, water pump, alternators and other accessories.

Thanks, I might have a lead on 401 from a Javelin.

x2

The 360 and 401 even used the same heads.

Be wary about a 401 swap however. Finding a flywheel to fit under a bellhousing for a manual Transmission may not be trivial. I had issues trying to fit the 401 with an adapter bellhousing for an SM465. The only flywheels I could find sat too deep into the bellhousing and the clutch hit the throwout arm.

If you're using a manual Transmission , you'll want to measure the depth of the face of the flywheel relative to the mounting face of the crankshaft on your current engine. That measurement can be anywhere from 1 to 1.5" depending on which flywheel you have. That half inch can make a lot of difference.

It seems that AMC flywheels are a PITA on so many levels.:cool:

x2

The 360 and 401 even used the same heads.

Be wary about a 401 swap however. Finding a flywheel to fit under a bellhousing for a manual Transmission may not be trivial. I had issues trying to fit the 401 with an adapter bellhousing for an SM465. The only flywheels I could find sat too deep into the bellhousing and the clutch hit the throwout arm.

If you're using a manual Transmission , you'll want to measure the depth of the face of the flywheel relative to the mounting face of the crankshaft on your current engine. That measurement can be anywhere from 1 to 1.5" depending on which flywheel you have. That half inch can make a lot of difference.

The key here may be the bell housing. If you can use a CJ bell housing rather than an adaptor bell housing you may not have the problems, but that may also limit your choices to get the low gear. (T-18 ) AMC 401 flywheels are not hard to get.

The key here may be the bell housing. If you can use a CJ bell housing rather than an adaptor bell housing you may not have the problems, but that may also limit your choices to get the low gear. (T-18 ) AMC 401 flywheels are not hard to get.

X2 on that I'm running a factory Jeep bellhousing w/ a 401 flywheel & 11" clutch, T-19 wide ratio & a Hydro clutch

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom