4H and 4L gear leading to steering problems

4H and 4L gear leading to steering problems

lordsul

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
1976 CJ7 , AMC 232 i6 6L, 3spd gearbox.

Whenever I put my small gear into 4H or 4L, so any position that will give power to the front wheels, when steering fully either right or left, it seems like there are some forces braking the wheels, and stopping :mad:. Rather than rolling freely. So I need much much more throttle in order to move.

Im worried about braking my front diff, or the Transfer Case . Have you guys ever heard of something like that? Any tips on what this problem might be, serious or not?

Thank you in advance, :chug:

Are you driving on a paved street? Even a dirt area can be a little hard if you have a locker or Limited slip in the front end. It will fight to keep the wheel straight.

Do you have a locker or Limited slip diff? To check, place the Transfer Case in neutral, lock the hubs, jack up both front wheels and rotate one by hand. If the other wheel turns in the same direction - you have a LS or Locked front diff and that could cause what you are describing.

Do you have larger than stock tires or a different offset in your wheels?
Its possible the tires are rubbing on the body/frame/suspension, causing this problem in a hard turn.
Or possibly the previous owner adjusted the steering stops inward, causing the front axle U-joints to bind under power and a tight turn.
Another thing is the condition of the axle U-joints themselves. If they are dry, they could bind up when trying to turn, and resist turning back to center.
But, like CJ said, try to not make sharp turns with the front axle engaged on hard ground or pavement. The best you will get is a hopping from the front end, and the worst could be breakage.

I was driving on an asphalt road, just to try my 4wheel drive.
I doubt I have a Limited slip or any kind of locked diff. Ill try check that today.

But I do have way bigger tires than stock, 33.But theres no problem when steering at 4x2. Only when 4x4. So I dont think theyre touching the body.

The U joints look dry, I must say.
The word I couldnt find to describe, but you both said, it fights to come back to center, thats exactly what it feels like.

I'll try lubricating today, is there a specific type of lubricant?

Sounds to me like the normal tendency of the front wheels to pull back on center. On my locked front diff you really have to fight the when (even in dirt with power steering). On hard pavement it is really difficult.

Let us know if the front diff is open or not. :)

So do you mean, every cj 4x4 steering has tendency to go center, more than it would in 2x4? :confused: or the normal tendancey that all cars have?

I will do the LS/LckDiff test today, Ill let ya know! :chug:

sounds like a Lincoln locker to me

Ok I did the test, no lock on the diff. When I turned one tire, other one didnt even move.

Maybe I should check the front diff oil, and the U joint lubricant. Can I do that without a mechanic?

Ok I did the test, no lock on the diff. When I turned one tire, other one didnt even move.

Maybe I should check the front diff oil, and the U joint lubricant. Can I do that without a mechanic?
it did not move? or it moved backward?

If I were you I would pull the front diff cover and change the fluid, you have no idea when it was changed last if ever. it takes 90w gear oil.

The front joints might have greese fittings or they mught not have, you will just have to look and see. If they do just pump greese in them till it comes out.

It did not move at all, isnt that strange? Didnt move the oppsite direction.
WHat I did was, I put the transfer box to N, and lift the car and did turned the wheel.

They do have grease fittings, the small nipple like thing under the joint, right?

Tomorrow Ill open up the front diff, Ill just open up the cover, itll be my first time ever, so Ill prbably be confused when getting the grease in..:)

Anyways Ill update you guys on this.

Thankx

if you did that on the front axle...were the hubs locked in at the time? that will make a difference.

There is a plug in the cover, you just take it out and fill it with oil till it's even with the bottom (starts comming out)of the hole the plug came out of.

You can see the wet spot on the diff cover here where the plug is

and yes the nipple like things are the greese fittings

I did lock the front wheel hubs, wsnt that what I supposed to do?

You were right the front hubs should be locked.

But the other wheel should have turned also. :confused:

I did lock the front wheel hubs, wsnt that what I supposed to do?

Old Dog, thanks a lot for the tips :chug:

You were right the front hubs should be locked.

But the other wheel should have turned also. :confused:
Yep - the hubs should have been locked.

With an open diff the opposite wheel should have turned backwards. I have seen a situation that has somewhat caused what you are seeing. It was a bad wheel bearing putting enough drag on the axle causing a worn out LS to not turn the opposite wheel. Either way - it is time for a much more thorough inspection. Time to get dirty and do some evaluations! :)

OK I understand what you're saying, it makes sense. When I was turning the wheel, I felt some resistance against my motion, it should obviously be more soft when turning.

This means, I have to have the whole front drivetrain inspected, might as well check the rear diff too...:(

Hope it wont cost too much, this prbably one of the most critical year of my life eco wisei getting married this year, opening my own private practice, set up the house...and now this....this little baby might end up waiting for a year or so, unfortunatly..:)

Thnk you guys, :chug:

It would be in your best interest to (if you can and have time) - learn a little about working on your CJ yourself... These things are pretty old and require a pretty constant inspection regiment (they get treated pretty rough).

Being as old as they are - they are actually (for the most part) quite easy to work on. With just a few basic hand tools, we can walk you through just about all the inspection things you need to do. I would highly suggest you get a little dirty and help yourself!

If your up for a small amount of work, we can give you a easy check list to follow to determine what the problem is and also help you to fix it! :)

Take a couple pic's when you get the cover off so we can see what you got in there.:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom