74 CJ-5 Axle Extensions?

74 CJ-5 Axle Extensions?

BigCJJohnson

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 CJ-5, 304 V8, D30 Front, T14
What is the best way to provide more stability to my CJ with a 4" lift? I have some wide tires on it that only extend outside the body by about 1.5" on either side. Can the axles be replaced with longer ones? I 've heard of going with offset rims or spacers (which usually place more wear on the bearings), but what is the best way to achieve what I am looking for?

:ww: to our site!

I think you axle spacers are what we call wheel spacers. Personally I do not like them but many have no problems running them. Here is a recent thread on them -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/spacers-8575/

A SEARCH for wheel spacers will yield many discussions on this topic. :)

Looks like you have a 74 CJ. One easy way is to research swappable Jeep axels. For example I just swapped out my '81 narrower axels for '82 wide tracks gaining about 4" each side.

Just figure out your frame and perch widths and study on sites like ALLPAR, etc. if you don't want to make major frame revisions.

I sold my '81 axels to a guy with a early 60s flat fender. He said he gained 2" total and they "bolt right up".

In the background if you really want to go crazy - I am sure you have heard about 'outboarding' or using GM full width super wide combinations.

Great, thanks! The least amount of frame alterations, the better! Placed a call into Quadratec and they didn't have much to say. I'll check out htat site and see what's out there to swap out. My '74 has the V8 in it and a fiberglass tub. Goes like mad and just want to build a little more safety into it with a wider wheel base.
I appreciate the help!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom