76 Wont Start!

Billettt

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7
2009 Jeep Commander
1975 CJ5
Ive tried everything i can think of. Whenever i turn the key, the solenoid just rapidly clicks. The starter just makes a slight humming noise and wont turn over. Ive replaced the battery, starter, solenoid, battery terminals, and the battery cables. All wiring is correct and all grounds are good. Any ideas on what else to try?

If the starter is getting 12v when you try to start it (check with a volt meter, new batteries can be bad) and it only hums the starter is bad. Take it back where you bought it and make them check it for you.

i agree. sounds like a bum starter

The starter is good, i went and got it tested. Even when i try to hot wire the starter, nothing happens. The solenoid still rapidly clicks. Also i know the engine isnt locked up because i can turn the crank on it.

If u take a pair of jumper cables and go straight from bat to starter positive stud, and it still wont start, either the starter needs some shims, bad ground, or bad starter... Ive had auto zone test starters and batteries and tell me theyre good because they didnt want to replace it...

Hope u can get it figured out man! :chug:

Jr

Side note, disconnect positive cable and reconnect it to " reset" everything, then try to jump it... Mine got stuck on stupid a few times when i was having starting issues...

I tried everything you just mentioned, still nothing, just the rapid click.

If you are going from the battery plus to the starter side of the solenoid you have bypassed the solenoid all together. it should not make any sound at all. the starter should just turn the motor over. when was the last time this jeep ran??:cool:

When i bypass the solenoid, the starter just hums.
The last time i took it was about 8-9 months ago, its been garaged since then. It started up fine and ran perfectly then.

OK now we are getting someplace!!
Put a breaker bar and socket on the balancer nut and see if it will turn over. If it won't cooperate pull the plugs and spray WD or marvel oil in the cylinders let it set over night and put the tranny in hi gear and rock it front to back until is turns over.
This is my best guess. I'm thinking the starter is trying it's darndest to turn over a frozen motor. DON'T FREEK OUT!!! it isn't terminal, I have seen more than a few stored vehicles do this and they were ok after a little bit of exercise.:cool:

Jump the battery with another one. You mentioned a new battery, but. . .

Their is a difference in an automatic and manual Transmission solenoid. Just saying...........

I tried doing your method two nights in a row and im still getting nothing unfortunately..

You need a new ignition module, that is really the only thing left i can think of, mine did the same thing, and since youve been cranking it so much i would suggest testing some fuses, but try to replace the ignition module it should be on the left fender underneath the coolant overflow bottle, the reason to check a fuse is so you know that if you end up getting a new ignition module you will have to get a new fuse for it to work, that is if a fuse is blown.

For the ignition module it is only like a 20 dollar replacement also, and it is always good to get a new one anyways. If you test this out and it works let me know, i will try to help as much as possible, and as far as replacing it, it is simple, just to plugs and unscrew it from the fender..... hope it works

by "method" do you mean rocking it front to back in 4th gear??:cool:

I tried doing your method two nights in a row and im still getting nothing unfortunately..

Billettt, I know you said your grounds are good but......take your grounds off again and clean them thoroughly. It doesn't take much rust etc. to have a bad ground. The engine ground to frame one also....

For the ignition module it is only like a 20 dollar replacement also, and it is always good to get a new one anyways. If you test this out and it works let me know, i will try to help as much as possible, and as far as replacing it, it is simple, just to plugs and unscrew it from the fender..... hope it works

I replaced the ignition module, it had no effect. The solenoid is still clicking away

If the engine is locked and the starter doesn't have the power to brake it loose the ignition system is not the issue yet.
I am guessing you sprayed WD in the cylinders??
lets try something a bit stronger for penetrate.

Mix a quart of automatic Transmission fluid with a quart of acetone.
Put at least two ounces in each cylinder and put the plug back in to keep the acetone from evaporating foras long as possible. leave this for a day.
Pull the plugs and try rocking it in 4th gear again.
After you get it broke loose I would not try to start it until the acetone had evaporated.:D

I dont think that the engine is locked up because i tried pulling it down the street and starting it and none of the tires were locking up. Im going to put your solution you gave me on the cylinders tomorrow morning, hopefully this can finally get it going!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom