77 258 4.2 intake manifold conversion

77 258 4.2 intake manifold conversion

CJ777

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ7, 2001 silverado, 2005 A4,41 F100,77 F350
I have a 77 I-6 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and have did the motorcraft 2bbl 2100 upgrade and still have the 1 bbl intake with the proper base adapter and gaskets, but I'd like to find a 2 bbl intake that will work with it.
Anyone know which intake manifold that will work with my stoock exhaust manifold and mate up with everything else?

Thanks

I have a 77 I-6 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and have did the motorcraft 2bbl 2100 upgrade and still have the 1 bbl intake with the proper base adapter and gaskets, but I'd like to find a 2 bbl intake that will work with it.
Anyone know which intake manifold that will work with my stoock exhaust manifold and mate up with everything else?

Thanks

Yes I do. I did that exact thing, I had a stock single barrel intake and I upgraded it to a two barrel. Any 1964 to 1979 AMC 2 barrel intake will work. There was a redesign in 1980 and the manifolds changed. So, nothing 1980 or newer will work with your stock exhaust manifold.

Here's the big thing, you're going to have to find a used one, I've never found anyone that makes aftermarket new ones.

Thanks Elwood.
When you remove the stock intake from the stock exhaust, they are bolted together, are they inconnected? meanining is there a port from the intake to the exhaust?

No, there's no port or anything that connects the two, just the four bolts. In the manuals I have it said to remove them from the engine together, then seperate them once they are out of the engine bay.

That's a useful bit of info.. I tried removing them separately and ended up sheering off onf the inner of the four bolts. I was planning on replacing my gaskets, then just stopped there and put everything back together. It's what got me thinking of upgrading since i have to take everything off just fix an exhaust leak.
I also realized that it seems i have to remove the radiator just to slide out the smog pump mounting bolt to remove the pump and gain access to everthing else.:eek:

I also realized that it seems i have to remove the radiator just to slide out the smog pump mounting bolt to remove the pump and gain access to everthing else.:eek:

You shouldn't have to, I removed all of that stuff, smog pump, intake/exhaust manifolds, etc without removing the radiator. It's tight and you have to work around the fan, and sometimes move the fan a rotation of two to get it out of the way, but it's doable without reomoving the radiator.

I'll give a shot once i find an intake and exhaust.
Thanks

Did you notice any performance gain fomr the two barrel intake?

Did you notice any performance gain fomr the two barrel intake?

I did the MC2100 upgrade at the same time I swapped manifolds. I noticed a substantial gain in power, it was well worth the time and money.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom