77 CJ5 Axle Information needed

77 CJ5 Axle Information needed

65reissue

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 Jeep CJ5 - Renegade - 304 w/3 spd - pretty stock at the moment.
Hi...I'm new to the forum and really like the information alot. I just bought a 77 CJ5 Renegade Levi (Edition) edition a few weeks ago. I am in the process of going through things and changing all the fluids. I know this is a pretty general question and may get asked often....but...from what I can tell the axles are stock on this jeep. Can someone tell me what my front and rear axles would most likely be? Also would it be likely or not that they would be locker or Limited slip? I am needing the information to determine what I need to change the oil. ....any additive or not. Also, what oil and weight do you recommend for the axles? I appreciate any help you can lend. ....also, would anyone have actual instructions (like visual) or where I could find them on how to install a fuel sending unit in this jeep? As you can tell probably already I'm not a mechanic...but I want to do as much of this as I can. I was real proud of myself yesterday just because I adjusted my clutch on my own...if that tells you where I'm at mechanically. Anyway...any help at all will be appreciated. thanks alot...Shawn

Your front axle should be a Dana 30 :

axle13.jpg

The rear should be the AMC20

amc20.jpg

Its not likely you have the Trac Loc Limited slip but I cant say for sure. As far as oil both differentials as well as your Dana 20 Transfer Case should be using 80w-90 oil. Heres a link for you that covers the basics of replacing the fuel sending unit. If you still feel you want to try it after reading let me know and I'll try and find something with pics.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...0KmVCQ&usg=AFQjCNECd-ZbjwpRS3A3s8Sgv7GM7_rKjQ

Thanks alot for the information...this will definitely get me started. Pictures are worth a thousand words to me...and those are definitely my axles. I appreciate you taking the time to give me the info. Thanks Again.

Thanks alot for the information...this will definitely get me started. Pictures are worth a thousand words to me...and those are definitely my axles. I appreciate you taking the time to give me the info. Thanks Again.

Hey, I see your mingling ! Great. If you need any part numbers let me know, I dont believe we have the earlier parts catalog on the site.

Would you believe I just changed mine last weekend and the only pic. I took was of the gas tank out on the ground. :(

Here they are,
you just take the ring loose from around the ole sender and pick it up and out and replace it. The hard part is taking the fill and return hoses off the body and getting the tank back under the jeep. you can see where the bolts were that hold it in, theres a row on the backside as well. Oh yea don't forget to didconnect the gas line and the return line.

Thanks guys...really appreciate your help. Thanks alot for the pictures and details. I'm going to make an attempt to change out the sending unit this weekend hopefully...I have a new filler hose, filler neck, and filler body protector (courtesy of Busted Knuckles!) too.... so looks like I have a lot of fun (and frustration) ahead of me...but really look forward to it.

Thanks guys...really appreciate your help. Thanks alot for the pictures and details. I'm going to make an attempt to change out the sending unit this weekend hopefully...I have a new filler hose, filler neck, and filler body protector (courtesy of Busted Knuckles!) too.... so looks like I have a lot of fun (and frustration) ahead of me...but really look forward to it.

Remember some eye protection, or you will probably wind up with rust particles in your eyes before its over, good luck !

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom