78 cj5 doesnt have room for a fan

78 cj5 doesnt have room for a fan

MYJX

Jeeper
Thanks
Hey guys, Im new to the jeep world and have a few ?'s I picked up a 78 CJ5 a few weeks back for almost nothing. It has a strait 6 in it and runs great but there is no fan. There is not even room for a fan. They have an electric fan fixed to the front of the raidiator. any advice?

Im not sure why there is no room for a fan. Granted theres not alot of room for a mechanical fan with the length of the straight six but they came from the factory with them. Anyway an electric fan is a popular modification so whats the problem? Is it overheating / running hot?

Is the electric fan kicking in when it heats up to normal temps? that right there would be the first thing to check. If it is, then start looking into the thermostat, radiator and water pump (probably in that order).
If it isn't, then check the power and the relay/fan controller, and the temp sensor system for the fan (not always the same as the temp guage).
Let us know what you find.

Hey MYJX and welcome! :chug:

Can you snap some pics for us? I'm a little confused why there wouldn't be any space? It easily should be able to accommodate a mechanical fan... :)

Hey guys, Im new to the jeep world and have a few ?'s I picked up a 78 CJ5 a few weeks back for almost nothing. It has a strait 6 in it and runs great but there is no fan. There is not even room for a fan. They have an electric fan fixed to the front of the raidiator. any advice?

Thanks for the responce guys. I'll try to get some pics posted so you can see what I'm talking about.

OK. here they are.

78 cj5-1.jpg

78 cj5-2.jpg

78 cj5-3.jpg

Wow! That sure is close!

What is that? A Chevy 6? You didn't say it had a swapped in 6! :) LOL

That would explain why there's no room for the mechanical fan, that isn't an AMC straight six, everythings on the opposite side

Just for reference, here's mine with the AMC AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 268 in it

engine_bay.jpg

Well I'll be damned. About the time you think you have seen every possible odd ball swap that can be done on a CJ, Someone will toss out a new ever seen that swap before.

Well I'll be damned. About the time you think you have seen every possible odd ball swap that can be done on a CJ, Someone will toss out a new ever seen that swap before.

What coldwater said pretty much sums upwhat I was thinking. MYJX, do you know anything about the engine or what kind of tranny is hooked up behind it?

Man i'm tired when I first saw that I was like WTF.
LOL a chevy 6 swap, interesting.

What kind ofelectric fan is it?
Grab a good ford contour or taurus fan that'll cool it.

I'm not positive it's a Chevy, could be a Ford... I'm not up on my I6's, but - what an interesting swap!

I would love to see more pictures and details - like what Transmission , Transfer Case and such... :)

Can you snap some pics of the fan? Does it have a shroud? Pulling air is better then pushing... :)

Wow!! Ok now it makes sense. Add me to the " never saw that one " club. Cjs right pulling air is better than pushing , but with only two fingers of room there I dont think you have much choice. Find out exactly what you have there and see what temp your thermostat is supposed to be rated at also. If your not getting enough air the Taurus fan that was mentioned will do the trick , or you could look for a dual set up to fit your radiator. Thats only after checking the thermostat and the other things mentioned by other posters.

Thank for all the info. Im fixing to start digging into it and see what I realy have. The valve cover says Ford Power on it. If your wondering why its green. The guy that did it worked for a john Deere shop. He is no longer living so I cant just ask. Ill post some more pics this afternoon.

Thank for all the info. Im fixing to start digging into it and see what I realy have. The valve cover says Ford Power on it. If your wondering why its green. The guy that did it worked for a john Deere shop. He is no longer living so I cant just ask. Ill post some more pics this afternoon.
Opps! Thought it was a Chevy... I'm looking forward to seeing what Ford I6 was put into that CJ! I bet it's a 300... Damn good engine!

OK guys. I got the numbers but I cant find it on any of the charts. This is how its cast on the block.

C9AE-6015-B 9J5 FoMoCo 16

Last edited:
I had an early GMC pickup that had this 292 or 298 or what ever, it had a huge engine like that. Strong engine, could pull a stump. I wonder........

You might be able to move the radiator forward, you'd have to see if it's possible to move it.

A contour fan is a dual fan and will cover a stock cj radiator, btw.
Also it's better than a taurus fan swap.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom