79 CJ7 running hot

79 CJ7 running hot

mdh20ski

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ7 1979 Chevy 350
I just bought a 79 CJ7 , the temp gauge is a C - H gauge and is running up near the H. It has a Chevy 350 engine, a new Rad., new temp gauge. The temp does drop when at a stop and rises when driving. What is the Temp suppose to run? Where and how do I check it to get an acutal temp number? The fan is engine drive so it turns all the time, but there is no shroud. Any ideas??

Thanks

I put a mechanical gauge in mine as the glass in the cluster was busted and the needle mising - there is a port at the top of the block that you install the temp probe and you will get an accurate reading to the gauge. not sure how to trouble shoot the stock gauge in the cluster

i may have misunderstood your question - thought you had a stock electrical gauge. you can definately get a mechanical gauge from Autozone or napa that has numbers on it though - if that helps

that 350 should run anywhere from 180 to 195 depending on the temp of the thermostat thats in it. first you need a shroud, or a electric fan setup. a aftermarket gauge will give you more accurate temps, more so than the c h of the factory gauge. the sending unit is in the side of the block on a sbc, or on later models it can be on the intake manifold 88-87+ i think with efi. is it a clutch fan or a flex fan?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom