81 CJ7 with california emmisions bullon it

81 CJ7 with california emmisions bullon it

SME81cj7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7 4.2L AMC Inline 6, think it has Carter BBD carb
Hello my name is Lorenzo. I just recently recived an 81 CJ7 with all of the california emmisions stuff on it. I live in colorado and there is no emmision laws present. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the six tubes coming out of the exhaust manifold had cracks at the base. So I unscrewed that pice and plug up the holes with six seperate bolts. Not knowing that the bbd carb runs off the vacum from the exhaust manifold, it now runs like :dung:. So i disconected all of the emmision hoses and it wont even start now. I have heard that I can buy a diffrent carb that does not need a vacum to run and preform a nutter by-pass and this should fix the problem. Is this true? If so what is a cheap carb and way of doing all of this. Thanks, ZO

I just got rid of the SMOG stuff on my '81 and it makes a BIG difference! I am not so sure that getting rid of the Air Pump and Lines to the Exhaust Manifold would make any difference in how it runs. You must have done something with the Vacuum Lines as well.
The Vacuum Lines on my CA CJ7 would surprise anyone, there must be 30' or so of hose, vacuum relays, vacuum switches, etc.

If there was only 30' of hose the PO must have removed some for you. :D

Possibly, I was also trying to be conservative. The fact is that with all of those vacuum lines it is no wonder that the Carburetor cannot operate properly.
I was completely amazed at the pile of junk that was removed for the Howell EFI kit and yours has even less with the MOPAR kit.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom