82 CJ7 ignition upgrade

82 CJ7 ignition upgrade

fzsk4p

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Ground up YJ.

Looking to get a CJ
Have read so many posts on ignition upgrades that I am not sure the proper way to upgrade my buddies CJ7 . :confused:

`82 CJ7 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . Stock ignition that has the 4 x 6 ish finned module as part of the system.

Jeep runs OK but a more modern, powerful system that has some tunability in the mechanical and vacuum advance would be a big step forward. Better reliability would be a plus.

Simple is good and price, while a consideration, should be a balance of upgrade and cost.

What say the CJ.com folks ? :notworthy:

Here we go i currently am running team rush with stealth hei works good but it is more complex than hei, and slightly more expensive than a cheap hei. I have a cheap hei that I was running, and when properly tuned runs great as well (long story about the reason I swapped, not getting into it). I like both, each has its shortcomings, team rush has several seperate components, which have to be wired together equaling more clutter, and the parts bought seperately can get expensive. But you can keep your oe distributor and upgrade as you go, better coil, new ignition mod, big cap conversion. Hei distributors weren't built for jeeps so they have to be tuned, and the higher end ones can get real pricey, but you get everything in one package, and one wire hook up, also the cheap ones do work well (ask rescuediver what he thinks about em). All in all my jeep runs pretty much the same with either, but the hei does it a whole lot more simple.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I'm not going to argue about this just give an opinion and step down.
Keep your distributer, replace the cap/rotor and wires and go with a TFI coil. per jeep hammer/team rush.
If the ECM is not a problem for you, which it was never for me, keep it. otherwise go with an MSD capacitor discharge system. avoid the "off road", not because there is anything wrong with it but it may , one day, present some warranty issues. The after market stock ECM are proving to be imported junk.:D

I'm not going to argue about this just give an opinion and step down.
Keep your distributer, replace the cap/rotor and wires and go with a TFI coil. per jeep hammer/team rush.
If the ECM is not a problem for you, which it was never for me, keep it. otherwise go with an MSD capacitor discharge system. avoid the "off road", not because there is anything wrong with it but it may , one day, present some warranty issues. The after market stock ECM are proving to be imported junk.:D

Allow me to add the following. This CJ is equipped with an Offy intake with an Edlebrock carb.

Is the finned ignition module what folks are calling an ECM ? That is an area were I am getting mixed signals.

An ignition module is simply that. A module that is part of the ignition system.

Whereas an ECM is an Engine Control Module that would be more like what you would find in a FI engine. A Module that controls, fuel and spark.

I am still confused on what way to go :eek:.........

1. A pre smog dizzy (79 and down) that has more mechanical advance coupled up with an aftermarket coil.

2. A pre smog dizzy with the Team Rush larger cap and components.

3. HEI from what year and model ?

4. I am totally screwed up here and should`nt even think of touching anything. :eek:

I can only comment on the drop in H.E.I. dizzy cuz its what I have.
it is a G.M. style distributor with the coil in the cap and a ignition module in the body of the distributor, so those two things you can eliminate from the engine compartment. It boosts the voltage so you can run .045 -.055 plug gap for a hotter spark, but there are issues with the dist. gear and cam gear eating each other. You need to either use your old dist. gear on the new one, or get a matched set. After I learned that lesson, I have been very happy with my H.E.I., and it was fairly inexpensive. I also know that if something goes bad, the coil and module are easy to find and cheap G.M. pieces.

Bush

B.T.W- 4WD hardware, Quadratec, Summit, or many other places can get you a 1 wire drop in H.E.I. for a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . If you have the cash, I would go with a D.U.I. unit.

Bush

We are trying to help, honest, apparently not doing such a great job of it.
Anyway, this is what I did with good results on my 77 and my 81. The 77 got a 79 distributer, this gave me adjustable vacuum advance and I could replace the cap and rotor with the ford 300 l6 cap, rotor and wires. I am using the ford TFI coil. On the 77 I am using an MSD capacitor ignition controller to replace the ICM (my bad) and on the 81 I continued to use the motor craft ICM with good results.
There are a couple of other ways to do this that seem to work quite well. The aftermarket Dizzy is receiving rave reviews and if I am not mistaken the distributer gear problem is just with the V8 and not with the l6 but I may be confused about that.
Yours being a 1980 you have the distributer that I would swap to and you just need to swap the cap, adaptor, rotor, coil and plug wires to experience a noticeable difference. IMHO.
This is my story and I am sticking to it.

Allow me to add the following. This CJ is equipped with an Offy intake with an Edlebrock carb.

Is the finned ignition module what folks are calling an ECM ? That is an area were I am getting mixed signals.

An ignition module is simply that. A module that is part of the ignition system.

Whereas an ECM is an Engine Control Module that would be more like what you would find in a FI engine. A Module that controls, fuel and spark.

I am still confused on what way to go :eek:.........

1. A pre smog dizzy (79 and down) that has more mechanical advance coupled up with an aftermarket coil.

2. A pre smog dizzy with the Team Rush larger cap and components.

3. HEI from what year and model ?

4. I am totally screwed up here and should`nt even think of touching anything. :eek:

Sorry IO, the I-6 part gets by me sometimes-
take what you want, leave the rest.

Bush

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom