85 CJ7 Eating rear axle bearings

Rmreid

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7
Hello,
Really stumped here....85 CJ7 Dana 44 rear end. Drivers side axle bearing went out and I took it in to the shop to be repaired. 40 miles later.....bearing fried....one more time....bearing fried...3 times and now they are completely stumped. Axle is true, nothing can be found to be wrong. The only thing that is different is that there is a preload shim on the passenger side axle that isn't on the drivers side. Of course no one has any idea what this is or where to get them. I'm getting desperate here since it is my daily driver. Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Randy

Do you know what the 44 came out of or what year it is. The reason I ask is a 85 cj didn't come with a Dana 44 .

Check your axle tube at the diff. If it has moved, it can pre load the wheel bearing.

I have no idea what the rear end came out of. Just another part of my dilemma.
Bought it that way and until this happened didn't realize it was a 44. Don't really know my rear ends.

The only thing that is different is that there is a preload shim on the passenger side axle that isn't on the drivers side. Of course no one has any idea what this is or where to get them.

Maybe it's just me but I've never seen one with shims. There is the bearing retainer seal, hope you have one on each side.
Are you sure the shop is greesing the bearing before they press it on and are they getting it pressed all the way on, and facing the right way.
When you say they have no idea what it is or where to get one (shim) it makes me wonder if they know what they are doing.

Did you just get the jeep and inherit this problem or have you had it and this is a new problem?

Old Dog,
I stopped by the shop that is doing the work and took pics of the axle bearings (what's left of it) and the rear end. Maybe you can identify it by sight? In the pictures, the passenger side has a metal ring, the drivers side did not have one when they did the bearings the first time around, or the 2nd or the 3rd. After 3 times they decided to look at the passenger side to compare and found the ring that wasn't there on the other side. Can this be what is causing the problem? Now I have to come up with a new backing plate and the little ring that has been missing all this time. Any ideas on where? Here's the pics.....caution drivers side is UGLY.
I have had the CJ for two years without any problems.

Attachments

• Passengerrear.jpg
    Passengerrear.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,385
  • Driversrear.jpg
    Driversrear.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,449
  • rearend.jpg
    rearend.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,404
  • rearend1.jpg
    rearend1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 3,302
After doing my homework, I see this is not a 44. Believe that is an AMC20 . It does have the one piece axles tho.

you need a new shop, that is a model 20 rear end and it is not even made by the same company that makes the Dana 44 . If they are installing Dana 44 parts it is no wonder they are frying, what other damage have they created with that?
Get a rental and get that Jeep to a shop that deals with CJs, otherwise you are f\going to continue to have problems dealing with guys who do not know what axle they are working on.
if that is a solid axle jeep, it is modded and they are really lost, you need a Jeep shop that knows CJs.

X2 on what Baja said.
We need to know if you still have the 2 piece axles (there will be a nut on the outerend on the axle) or if you have aftermarket 1 piece axles ( they will be flat on the outer end)
If they are 1 piece they go together like this..http://www.superioraxlegear.com/pdfdocs/model20install.PDF
at least most of them, you need to know who made them to know for sure.
The bad news is if they are 1 piece you need to buy the bearings and the retaining ring from the manufacturer, as the retaining ring is made special for the axles and the part store won't have the right ones.
If they are the stock 2 piece than just buy the stock parts. The part you are missing apears to be the outer seal from what I'm seeing in your pix.

Did the shop tell you that it was a Dana 44 ? if so then then i agree to deff get you a new shop that knows CJ's.

Yes, the shop said it was a 44. I realize at this point(too late) that this wasn't the right place to go. Now that I am in to this mess with them, I'm not sure how to move on. Small town, Illinois, not many choices and it isn't like I am going to drive off with it.
As far as the axles go, they are the one piece but no idea who made them, didn't see any markings. I am at the point of buying a whole new one piece set for both sides of the rear. Here is what I was looking at:

Superior Axle Evolution Rear Axle Kit Model 20 One-Piece EV20L

Good choice, I've been happy with mine. It seems that summit racing usually has good prices on them but check around as pricing varies.
Make sure you read the instructions on setting the preload.

Old Dog,
Would you mind explaining to me about the preload adjustments? The Superior says it needs no shims, is this true? One other thing....the backing plate hole got enlarged by the bearing problem, am I going to have problems now that is is larger?

Thanks a million for your posts and time.

Last edited:
Back in post #9 There's a link to the superior site with the instructions to instal them. There is no shims but there is a spacer that you have to set the lenght on that preloads to bearing. (They make the spacer on the long side so you have to trim it to the right lenght.)
As for the backing plate, yes you will need a new one as it's all that holds the bearing (axle) in.
Hope this helps, don't be afraid to ask if you still don't understand.

I understand now how it all fits together. Sources for backing plates don't seem to be plentiful. I'm thinking now that I should just have the Jeep towed to my house and I take over the project. I am going to stop by the shop where it is tomorrow and see if I can find any markings on the one piece axles that would tell me the manufacturer. Seems a waste to buy a whole new set since the ones I have are perfectly fine.
If you know anybody with a backing plate for sale, I'm buying! :chug:

Superior axle kit ordered. 254.00 delivered. I didn't think that was too bad.

Ooops Im late on this one. Jeez that shop not knowing the difference between a Dana 44 and the AMC20 threw you for a loop. Any pick and pulls up your way where you could get the backing plate? Your definately gonna need it. Bummer , you probably couldve swapped that rear axle out with a good used one and saved alot of headache. So the Jeep is at your place and your gonna get it all straightened out now correct?

Jeep is still at the shop. I have to figure out with the owner just what we are going to do about this mess. He is trying to make good with the problem, they arent trying to screw me but I am up in the air with having them install my new Superiors. I had already paid for the repair so I do feel it should be resolved but don't want to get down the road and smell the unmistakable scent of burning gear oil. :driving:=:mad:

The only backing plate I have found so far.........$45. Seems pretty steep in price to me. ?

Being that youve already paid for the repair and their tryng to make good on it Id probably give them the chance. Id make sure that I had the instructions all laid out for them though. Im just concerned that if they cant look up what their working on and get the correct parts this could get even more drawn out than it already is. If your gonna use them Id make sure you get all the parts and print out correct procedures for them.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom