86' jeep with high oil pressure and lots of blowby

86' jeep with high oil pressure and lots of blowby

bdunnam

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ7 Laredo Black 4.2l i6
well aside the overheating problems i have been having high oil pressure and a ton of blowby. When i first got the thing after a week i noticed the oil pressure guage would not go below 70lbs unless it was off. well 3 valve covers and several gaskets later, ive lost all my pcv valves and routing for all the hoses that come off the top of the valve cover. right now i have a pcv valve in the front and 1 end is plugged and the other goes to the carb, and the other hole is just a hose that basically aims blowby towards the ground and not the rest of my engine or hood. I am still reading 70 lbs at idle with a new alternator and new oil pressure sending unit. i have done a compression test, not a very accurate one but one none the less, and 4 out of 6 stayed above 100lbs but cyl. 3&4 were around 80 to 90lbs.

I've never had an amc 6 cly. oil pump apart, but most pumps have a relief valve built in to them, yours may be stuck.
The other possably is someone put a high pressure spring in it.
Does it stay on 70# or does it go up and down with your rpm's?

the oil pressure does not bother me too much. without a mechanical guage I would not bet my life on the pressure reading.
Do you actually have vacuum at the PCV valve?? Pull the PCV and give it a shake , see if it rattles, it should. is the vacuum hose colapsed?? Are you connected from the PCV to the manifold with a 1/2" hose? Can we have a picture of where it is tied in to the manifold?
We are , of course, assumeing that you have a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , is this correct. please fill out your profile.:D

well aside the overheating problems i have been having high oil pressure and a ton of blowby. When i first got the thing after a week i noticed the oil pressure guage would not go below 70lbs unless it was off. well 3 valve covers and several gaskets later, ive lost all my pcv valves and routing for all the hoses that come off the top of the valve cover. right now i have a pcv valve in the front and 1 end is plugged and the other goes to the carb, and the other hole is just a hose that basically aims blowby towards the ground and not the rest of my engine or hood. I am still reading 70 lbs at idle with a new alternator and new oil pressure sending unit. i have done a compression test, not a very accurate one but one none the less, and 4 out of 6 stayed above 100lbs but cyl. 3&4 were around 80 to 90lbs.

Well i have studied it a little bit and i did read somewhere a long time ago where it could be stuck and i'm pretty sure it is. Supposedly the whole jeep was completely stock when we bought the thing, other than all the smog equip. had been removed, and come to find out about a month or so ago it has had a newer ring and pinion put in within the last 10 yrs, but i'm not too worried about having all the vacuum equip. hooked up i got rid of 98% of that when it caught on fire and all that stuff does is create more trouble than its worth. And the pressure will fluctuate about 5-10lbs between rpm differences. and none of the vacuum hoses are collapsed but i may have it hooked up backwards b/c i was in a hurry to just get it on and hoses hooked up, with what little hose i had readily available.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom