87 vs 89 octane

87 vs 89 octane

travis565

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj5
chevy 350 swap, holley 600, edelbrock intake, headman headrs, accel hei coil. 4 inch lift, 35 x 12.50 x15 Goodyear , stock gears In model 20 rear and a Dana 35 front
dana 20 transfer case
3spd transmission
stock axles and gears
model 20
dana 35
I have a chevy 350 in my jeep and I've been having problems with it trying to stall when I slow down or go around turns and sputtering on acceleration breaking up in wot. Well I changed plugs wires cap and rotor rebuilt carb and adjusted timing. Nothing seemed to fix the problem. I know I'm running a lil lean which as soon as I make it to the performance store that will be fixed with new jets. The guy that had the jeep before me jetted it way down. So to get to the point nothing seemed to make it run right. I just came to grips with buying a new carb. So today I decided to put 89 in it instead of 87 and man it was like magic to my engine. No stalls decreased breakup no sputtering. Runs like a champ. Kinda weird I've heard of it making a lil difference but this thing runs completely different.
I have the timing set at 8 btdc with the vac advance hooked above the throttle plate rather that at full vacuum at idle. I may bump it up to 10 to see a bigger difference. Anyone else have this drastic of a change when switching fuels?

Sounds to me like your float was set too low. Or perhaps you just had some bad gasoline.
Like CheapJeep was referring to, the 89 is just going to allow you to advance the timing a little more.

Could it be quality of gas instead of octane rating? Did you get the 89 at a different gas station?

Just a note, the method that petroleum company's use to rate octane can vary as much as 2 points.

Yea it was a different gas station. That could def be it. I reset the floats to a lil higher. I have the unadjustable floats but I just bent the tabs a lil to where the top of the float was parallel to the bowl. I'm going to change jets today but I'll keep 89 in it for sure.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom