88 4.2 head gasket question

88 4.2 head gasket question

wrangler rider

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
95 wrangler with 88 4.2 carbed with puguetoe(?) 5spd both fresh rebuilds, spring over, 3inch body, spring arched 2 inches and stiffened, 10 inches of total lift on 36inch tsls 8k mile marker winch, ect.
1969 dodge charger rt se 440, 727 torqueflite 3.55 suregrip with 8 3/4 axle, everyone is making her a headache for me but i love her 1000xs more then my jeep
2005 dodge 3500 cummins 6speed dually work truck, not mine
i just rebuilt my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 and i put on a head gasket and well its leaking coolant into the oil, the book say to put sealant on the head gasket ive asked people and it sounds like a quack idea to put goop on it, this time i didnt and it leaks, i could have pinched the gasket but i want to be sure, im ready to make my project a dd sicne warmer weathers on the way.
so what do yall think? sealant and not?
thanks

also whats the average running temp? the gauge on the dash says 100 degrees which is stuid low, i have a aftermarket gauge and he runs around 190-210 which i am sure is current but i dont want to blow up my baby
thanks again

I've been told never use sealant on head gaskets. Biggest reason uneven heat transfer. Also been told by some oldtimers to use copper spray permatex is one. Just follow directions and let dry

this depends a lot on what thermostat you are using.:cool:

also whats the average running temp? the gauge on the dash says 100 degrees which is stuid low, i have a aftermarket gauge and he runs around 190-210 which i am sure is current but i dont want to blow up my baby
thanks again

Just to reiterate...You never use a sealant on a head gasket. It will interfere with the torque rate on the headbolts and it is just something else to cause an un-evenness between the mounting surfaces. That is why heads are resurfaced and checked for warpage.

Ok thanks yall , what can I do myslef to resurface the head? I don't have the money to get it done

Just to reiterate...You never use a sealant on a head gasket. It will interfere with the torque rate on the headbolts and it is just something else to cause an un-evenness between the mounting surfaces. That is why heads are resurfaced and checked for warpage.
This usually true, but some head gaskets do require or need the copper spray. Most head gaskets now come with a film or coating that acts as a sealer but some are not coated and they will work with the copper spray. Also, all solid copper reusable gaskets should use the copper spay.

Please follow the instructions that are included with the gasket and never reuse them unless they are specifically made for reuse (solid copper race gaskets).

Ok thanks yall , what can I do myslef to resurface the head? I don't have the money to get it done
You havent determined if you head is warped or not yet. It needs to be checked by a machine shop using a straight edge and feeler gauges to see if it exceeds factory specs.

As for resurfacing it yourself, you cannot unless you have a mill and the related equipment. It can be done by hand but that requires a scraper, surface plate and indicator or a straight edge - and alot of experience!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom