94 Cherokee 5 speed into CJ???

Ironmerganser

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ7 Renegade - stock 258 6 cyl

2003 F250 6.0 diesel

2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7 - wifes baby
Have a line on a 1994 Cherokee with the 4.0 and a 5 speed manual.

I think I am going to buy it for the 4.0 fuel injection parts to swap into my CJ. However....wondering about the Transmission . Would it be worth it to use the Cherokees 5 speed and mate it to my original xfer case with an adaptor or should I just keep my stock 3 speed and xfer case?

Opinions are greatly appreciated. :notworthy:

I am not positive, but i think it is way too long... The one in my Grandfathers was one of the largest Tranny's (length) i have ever changed... :cool:

Have a line on a 1994 Cherokee with the 4.0 and a 5 speed manual.

I think I am going to buy it for the 4.0 fuel injection parts to swap into my CJ. However....wondering about the Transmission . Would it be worth it to use the Cherokees 5 speed and mate it to my original xfer case with an adaptor or should I just keep my stock 3 speed and xfer case?

Opinions are greatly appreciated. :notworthy:

If your Jeep was a 1980 or up 7 with the Dana 300 TC in it id say YES to using the AX-15 ASIN 5 speed from that Cherokee XJ in your CJ, especially if it's late enough to have the external slave hydraulic cylinder bellhousing. But since you have a Dana 20 TC, it would require an expensive adapter so no, id not use it because of this reason alone unless you wanted to switch to the Dana 300 TC also.

RangerRick

If your Jeep was a 1980 or up 7 with the Dana 300 TC in it id say YES to using the AX-15 ASIN 5 speed from that Cherokee XJ in your CJ, especially if it's late enough to have the external slave hydraulic cylinder bellhousing. But since you have a Dana 20 TC, it would require an expensive adapter so no, id not use it because of this reason alone unless you wanted to switch to the Dana 300 TC also.

RangerRick

Yep....I was just looking at that and figured out the exact same thing. I may have to find a 300 xfer case though. A 5 speed in the CJ sure would be nice. :D

The AX15 is longer though....by about 7.5 inches. I would need to take some measurements and look at the floor to see what modifications i would need to make there. I would prefer not to cut anything.

You wont have to make any modifications to the floor...may have to relocate the shifter hole...but the AX 15 went under YJ's which have the same tub as a CJ for all intents and purposes. You will need to modify your crossmember however and lengthen and shorten drivelines.

If it were me id look for a good used Dana 300 . Which is lower geared than a Dana 20 , then all you would need is a clocking ring, which isn't that expensive. An adapter for the Dana 20 is around $530, a clocking ring is less than half that and you would have a better xfer case.

Droooiiddd 2

Yeah....too much work. I want to unbolt everything, refurb it, and bolt it back it (minus the fuel injection of course).

This is an around town, very light, off road rig. I just want to make it nice and reliable. No hard core here.

I think I am just going to have the 3 speed and stock xfer case rebuilt and then slam in the rebuilt AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with 4.0 head and fuel injection.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom