A couple 258 with 4.0 headswap questions

A couple 258 with 4.0 headswap questions

lloydwithAf

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler. 4.2 TF999 Dana 300 D30 AMC20
Well I pulled the trigger on a 1983 CJ7 about 2 weeks ago. It has a weak AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and a ton of nasty bodywork(chickenwire covered in bondo, rivets, house screws, caulking glue). So I decided its total rebuild time. I purchased a used 1982 cj tub and a rebuilt AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with the 4.0 headswap. My engine will be in by the end of the week and have a few questions:
1. I am not going fuel injected so will I still need to upgrade my fuel pump?
2. Will my wiring harness still work?
3. Do I need to upgrade my radiator?
4. Will my old intake manifold fit?

I tried to find this information through the search but it seems like everyone that did the 4.0 headswap went injected and I want to stay carbed.
Btw I will start a thread on the teardown and rebuild!

Well I pulled the trigger on a 1983 CJ7 about 2 weeks ago. It has a weak AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and a ton of nasty bodywork(chickenwire covered in bondo, rivets, house screws, caulking glue). So I decided its total rebuild time. I purchased a used 1982 cj tub and a rebuilt AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with the 4.0 headswap. My engine will be in by the end of the week and have a few questions:
1. I am not going fuel injected so will I still need to upgrade my fuel pump?
2. Will my wiring harness still work?
3. Do I need to upgrade my radiator?
4. Will my old intake manifold fit?

I tried to find this information through the search but it seems like everyone that did the 4.0 headswap went injected and I want to stay carbed.
Btw I will start a thread on the teardown and rebuild!

1. No
2. Yes
3. No
4. Maybe

Thanks for the quick response. Ill post up some rebuild picks soon. thanks

I bet I know where you got a sweet deal on that engine! lol
Looking forward to pics of the build!

Thanks again Mike. I look forward to doing business with you again. I would highly recommend anyone looking for some jeep parts to give Mike at texomajeeps a shout!

A Clifford intake is the best way to go if you can find one. I ran a 500cfm Edelbrock on top of it and loved it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom