a few engine questions!!!

a few engine questions!!!

mike1970cj5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1970 Cj-5 jeep, 223 v6 dauntless T14 transmision and a model dana 18 transfer case, 4 BFG ko tires
So i just got a 1970 CJ5 and i was told that the engine is a 225 v6 Dauntless Buick 225 V6 . now my questions are such:
1. how can i tell i mean it looks like a engine to me.
2.is this engine reliable, is it a good engine to have for my jeep?
3. any good part websites to try to replace some parts.
here is a pic of my engine:
picside.jpgjeeppic.jpgfuse.jpg

OK
first, that engine is what legends are judged by. It is the bomb, you are pushing 155 hp and close to 200 pounds of torque
you want to sel that thing, I will buy it site unseen for the engine of your choice.
here is the problem though, the early cjs could not fit a strait six or a v8 so Jeep went shopping and bought the 225 Dauntless Buick 225 V6 V6 from Buick. One of the best things ever done.
it rocks, runs great but has a lope at idle, reason it stumbles at idle is it has 6 crank journals that were set up from the buick 305 v8. (basicaly it is a 305 minus 2 cylinders. A few years after Buick bought back the engine rights they made it into an even fire and it lost a lot of torque.
Parts are easy to find, I hate to do it but Early CJ5 forum has a list of parts suppliers, I am a member there also, Although I really like this forum better.
it is an extremely reliable engine and the torque is way down low because it has a 50 pound flywheel.
you can upgrade the carb, and spend a few weeks trying to tune it in, or rebuild the one on it and it runs great.
You bought a very sought after engine in that Jeep.

A great motor for an early CJ. I'm partial to V8 conversions, but the best stocker motor in a early model CJ.:chug:

Well before i get all excited that i have that engine i have to figure out if it what i was told. I'm still not sure. now did anyone see that pic of the fuse box with all the wires coming out.....i have wires every were even some hooked to the alternator. but before i try to tackle that can anyone buy looking at the pics tell 100% that it is in fact the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 . thx:D

Yes - it is a Dauntles V6.

You have typical CJ wiring - Fubar to the max and needs to be addressed. :)

that is a Duantles, trust me I own 2 and would love to get one to rebuild to the max without having a jeep down:drool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom