Adjusting the clutch pedal??

Adjusting the clutch pedal??

rumblephish

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 Jeep CJ-5 "Levi's" edition, original AMC 304 V8, T-150 transmission, Dana 20 transfer case, AMC 20 rear end. All stock except for a hotter ignition.
My wife has a hard time shifting our CJ5 because she can't get the clutch pedal depressed enough without scooting forward on the seat. She's 5'3" and really has to extend her leg out to get the clutch to go. Seat is all the way forward. I have no problem with it but I'm 6'6". Will a new clutch/plate solve this? Does it need a ligghter clutch so it disengages sooner? Is there a way to adjust the linkage to bring the pedal forward more?

My wife has a hard time shifting our CJ5 because she can't get the clutch pedal depressed enough without scooting forward on the seat. She's 5'3" and really has to extend her leg out to get the clutch to go. Seat is all the way forward. I have no problem with it but I'm 6'6". Will a new clutch/plate solve this? Does it need a ligghter clutch so it disengages sooner? Is there a way to adjust the linkage to bring the pedal forward more?

Many years ago I had a vertically challenged girlfriend that loved old pickup trucks.
So I altered hers to fit by screwing blocks of teak wood to her petals so she could reach them.;)

As far as the Jeep goes a new clutch should bring it back to stock petal height.

Be sure you have the clutch freeplay set correctly- too much freeplay and you are pushing the pedal down a ways before the clutch even starts to engage causing it not to release till it is almost on the floor. you do need a little play so your throwout bearing is not under constant pressure though. A chiltons or haynes will have the procedure and min. freeplay spec.

Teak blocks?? wow, that stuff is expensive, this must have been love. Of course with this being a two driver vehicle you may have to glue the blocks to the bottom of her feet, so you can still use the Jeep. You will notice I never said anything about sheetrock screws.
I think I would play with the clutch a bit before going to the hardware store for blocks but a man’s gotta do what a man ‘s gotta do.

Many years ago I had a vertically challenged girlfriend that loved old pickup trucks.
So I altered hers to fit by screwing blocks of teak wood to her petals so she could reach them.;)

As far as the Jeep goes a new clutch should bring it back to stock petal height.

Teak blocks?? wow, that stuff is expensive, this must have been love. Of course with this being a two driver vehicle you may have to glue the blocks to the bottom of her feet, so you can still use the Jeep. You will notice I never said anything about sheetrock screws.
I think I would play with the clutch a bit before going to the hardware store for blocks but a man’s gotta do what a man ‘s gotta do.

I had the teak left over from a job, so I put it to good use.
Her clutch wasn't out of adjustment, she was 4'9.5".
Yeah got it right & better not forget the .5"!;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom