Advantages of a small block over the 258 I6?

Advantages of a small block over the 258 I6?
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ7 2 inch lift.
I've seen a lot of v8 smallblock swaps into jeeps and I wanted to know the advantages and disadantages of the v8 vs the I6. Can anybody find accurate horsepower an torque figures for a 82 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6?

Chilton has horsepower for 77-86 at 114 @ 3600 rpm and torque is 196 @ 2000 rpm.
The advantage of a v8 is more power, the disadvantage is you break more stuff and get worse mpg.

Chilton has horsepower for 77-86 at 114 @ 3600 rpm and torque is 196 @ 2000 rpm.
The advantage of a v8 is more power, the disadvantage is you break more stuff and get worse mpg.

I've heard a lot of good things about the i6 in terms of reliability. Are there any ways to squeeze some more torque out of it? I know I dragged my buddy's explorer out of the mud with his parking brake on. I love your signature by the way =D

I've heard a lot of good things about the i6 in terms of reliability. Are there any ways to squeeze some more torque out of it? I know I dragged my buddy's explorer out of the mud with his parking brake on. I love your signature by the way =D

yea the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l will run forever if you take care of it. It's designed for low rpm torque, which is what a jeep needs.
Most mods such headers, aftermarket intakes, and cams help more in the higher rpm range and tend to hurt the low end.
If it will drag an explorer out of the mud with the brake on, what more can you ask of it.:chug:

yea the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l will run forever if you take care of it. It's designed for low rpm torque, which is what a jeep needs.
Most mods such headers, aftermarket intakes, and cams help more in the higher rpm range and tend to hurt the low end.
If it will drag an explorer out of the mud with the brake on, what more can you ask of it.:chug:

Haha I guess that's true, I can't ask for much more than that. I just love low en torque

My buddy has a cj with the 6cyl and he has ground up restowed it except for the engine and has drove it for a few years but now its starting to rattle but its prob never been rebuilt so he has got all he can ask for from it and more..but the cj i got a few weeks ago has the smallblock and he is really wanting to put 1 in his now.:)

I think it all matters on what you mainly wheel in.
I wheel the west coast, lots of rocks, deserts, and stuff like that, seems the I6s rule, but if you do sand or mud, that small block has the potential to deliver HP like the 6 can not and those conditions you need that. I also think a small block means you can gear more street friendly. Nut then gearing is an issue that is also terrain dependent.
But I know a I6 kicks for decades, now that small block can last forever mild or a lot less built.
Up to you I suppose.

Let's not forget curb appeal. I love the look and sound of a small block!

Attachments

• small block.jpg
    small block.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 352
Do a 4.0 head swap on the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and pick up a little more TQ, also consider a tube header and 2.5" exhaust. You'll pick up HP too.
Also I posted up about a universal turbo kit in another thread.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom