Aftermarket Thermostat Install...Need Help

Aftermarket Thermostat Install...Need Help

Coach

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 / 4.2 I-6 / Auto / Dana 30 / Dana 300 / AMC 20 / Hard Top
Sorry, my title should have said temp gauge, I just installed a new thermostat, so it is on my mind.

Alright, I'm wanting to install an aftermarket temp gauge in my '86 CJ7 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , but I'm not sure where the temp gauge sensor is that is currently running to the temp gauge in the Speedo. I can't seem to find the answer in my Chilton's book.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to get a more accurate temp reading since I installed a new thermostat and have been working on the cooling system as a whole.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Coach

Look on top of the head back against the firewall, it will have one wire coming from it.

Look on top of the head back against the firewall, it will have one wire coming from it.

On the drivers side of the block? I was thinking that could be the one to pull.

Hi Coach, did you know the factory service manual for your Cj is in the DOC section of this site ? You can step away from the chiltons,... have a look, its there in PDF form (in the CJ7 section, near the bottom).

Hi Coach, did you know the factory service manual for your Cj is in the DOC section of this site ? You can step away from the chiltons,... have a look, its there in PDF form (in the CJ7 section, near the bottom).

Thanks, didn't know that was there. Didn't find the temp sensor yet, but I will continue reading through it.

Coach

On the drivers side of the block? I was thinking that could be the one to pull.

Does that one have vac lines or wire? left side of block is normally the CTO switch and it will have vacumm hoses. one you want will be wired.

Does that one have vac lines or wire? left side of block is normally the CTO switch and it will have vacumm hoses. one you want will be wired.

The one I'm thinking of it back by the firewall on the top of the manifold. I'm not sure, but I think I know the one you are talking about, it has a few of the vac lines plugged and has a little black box with four vac hoses and other things coming off of it I'm describing from memory when I was looking around today.

Thanks,
Coach

Coach my experience is with a earlier version CJ but sounds to me like you are not on the temperature sending unit if it's in the manifold? It should be in the head and as I said should be wired and not hosed.

Coach my experience is with a earlier version CJ but sounds to me like you are not on the temperature sending unit if it's in the manifold? It should be in the head and as I said should be wired and not hosed.

Alright, I will look around tomorrow afternoon when I have some good light. I think I know where you are referring to.

Plus, I looked up the two different temp senders that are for the CJ7 , so now I know what I'm looking for part-wise too.

Thanks for your help in getting me heading in the right direction.

Coach

I think this is it?

Thanks, that is the one I have been suspecting as a good possibility. I may try to pull that one and plug in my aftermarket gauge for a test fit.

Thanks,
Coach

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom