amc 20 1 piece axle problem

amc 20 1 piece axle problem

Thew

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82' CJ7 ,258 w/ Weber, T5, D300, dana 30-amc20 w/ Detroit locker & 4.88's, 4.5" lift, 1" body lift. 35" Toyo MT
I bought a AMC20 with 1 piece axles and I cant figure out who made them.
I would like to put in new seals and bearings but there are no markings on them I cant even find a picture on the web with a similar setup.
does anybody know who made them? I would really hate to use them for paper weights as they are to heavy .

Attachments

• IMG_3093 (WinCE).JPG
    IMG_3093 (WinCE).JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_3094 (WinCE).JPG
    IMG_3094 (WinCE).JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_3096 (WinCE).JPG
    IMG_3096 (WinCE).JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 895
Measure the I'd and od of the bearing and seals. Even better bring the shaft with seal and bearing to a local bearing supplier and they can easily get you what you need. They most likely have a better quality bearing. All they need is the dimension.

Measure the I'd and od of the bearing and seals. Even better bring the shaft with seal and bearing to a local bearing supplier and they can easily get you what you need. They most likely have a better quality bearing. All they need is the dimension.

X2
Most one piece shafts take timkin set 9 bearings, they should have numbers on them. They also take a special bearing retaining ring.
I don't see the outer seal in the pics. All the ones I've seen use the stock inner and outer seals.
Did you get the disc brakes with them?

I uploaded a better pic, the seal is there on the end and it does not look like any of the ones on the market now. I'm also trying to figure out who made these so I can decide if I want to use them.

unfortunately there are no bearing dealers in my area. the nearest place is a 4 hour round trip away.
I was hoping someone would see the pics and say they look like what they bought.

IMG_3107.jpg

this is the bearing retainer.

IMG_3098-e1271860110239.jpg

here is what I have seen before, note the bearing retainer.

JeepAxleKit.jpg

I may be able to get other seals and bearings but I want to know who made these.
nope on the disc brakes but I did get a set of of nice 11" brakes. I plan on going to discs.
I'm setting this axle up with discs, locker, 4.88 gears and a axle truss to take the abuse from my 35" toyos.

I've never seen an outer seal that looked like that.
Just so we are on the same page, the bearing retainer is the collar that presses on after the bearing to hold it on the axle.
The horse shoe piece looks like it was made for disc breaks as it takes the place on the brake backing plate. ( I think as I don't see any backing plates on the axles)

There are backing plates but they slide off over the seals and bearing.

I have been in to jeeps for about something like 25+ years and I don't recall ever seeing a bearing and seal set up like this. This has my curiosity up.

This set up had 11" drums on it and it looked good, nothing has been hacked or jacked.

I'm going to measure the axle diameter to see if I could use a normal bearing and seal kit from something I can get easily. there is an inner seal which is no problem to get but I get the feeling that the bearings and outer seals are special sets custom made for the manufacture.

I just hope I can use these axles because I don't really want to buy another set.

Last edited:
Did you get this resolved? You could always go to a sealed roller bearing and not worry with the outer seal.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom